"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 12-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Head Chef

New, from New York.

Hi,

I've enjoyed cooking since ive been about 13 years old. Now, a few years old , i still consider it one of my favorite hobbies. Being a vegetarian, i am always looking for new recipes to add to my diet. although a vegetarian, i dont consider myself a 'health vegetarian". Meaning, im not limited to tofu, sprouts and legumes . I like things that taste really good, without cutting corners. Low fat, no fat , sugar free just dont do it for me. I love fruits, vegetables and dishes from other countries. I like to experiment with things ive never seen or even heard of before. I also love gardening, and have grown, or tried to grow just about everything.

Anyway, Im here hoping to learn and share with others from our experiences and knowledge.

larry

Old 12-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Welcome to the site Larry! I am sure you are going to love it here. So if not for health reasons, why did you decide to go the vegetarian route? Is it for moral reason or so you just not like meat or something else altogether? If my question is too personal then feel free to ignore it of course.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #3
Head Chef

Hello Larry and welcome to DC.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

Welcome, Larry. So glad that you are going to be with us.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

well, i guess originally and the main reason was moral. But, when i was about 18 and in college, my daily lunch consisted of 2 chili dogs with fries, and my daily dinners included 2 cheese burgers, with fries. This kinda shot my cholesterol up to the mid 300's ( not too good for an 18 year old) . anyway, when my physician told me id probably die of a heart attack by the time i reached 30 if i didnt change my diet. So this, in addition to my moral views was what changed my eating habbits. Also, made me a more creative cook. Most people ask if i miss the chili dogs, burgers and things like that . The truth is, innitially yes, but these days, some of the meat substitutes ( definately not all of them) are pretty good. so with a little thought and creativity, i can duplicate most of the things i used to eat. sure its not the same, but my cholesterol is abut 150 less. actually, 2 months after i became vegetarian, i had my cholesterol checked, and it had already dropped 100 points. so in my situtaion, my diet was playing a big factor on my cholesterol levels.

larry

***things i really miss are a good meatball hereo ( sub, whatever you want to call it) Im not crazy about most of the vegetarian meatballs ive tried, so im still looking. some have the right consistancy, but not the right taste. Others have the taste, but not the consistancy. Im still looking.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I think it is great that you were able to make that change and stick with it!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
Head Chef

Back then it was difficult, as i was still oung, in college.... I felt bad for my dad ( who did most the cooking) because when i moved home, I was a vegetarian, my sister only ate meat, my mother always on some diet and he and my brother ater everything. so, dinner was a real challenge, always preparing 4 + different meals or varieties. actually, even macaroni and cheese was a challenge. My sister's had mac & cheese with tuna fish in it, i had mushrooms but no tuna fish, my dad and brother had mushrooms + tuna fish and my mom had a slice of low-fat american cheese and toast. But realistically, i think my ability and desire to cook, along with my willingness to try new, exotic things allowed me not to be bored with the things i eat. Ive met many people from different countries, cultures ... and tried many things that most 'typical people' wouldnt try. I love shopping at ethnic markets, selecting things im not even sure what they are. Ive had my successes and failures, as everyone else had, but atleast i tried :)
Old 12-26-2006, 11:26 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome aboard!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:11 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Hello Larry, welcome to DC! You have joined the right site. Feel free to go through the various sections especially for vegetarians and the health-conscious and post any questions if you have here. The forum's helpful and friendly members are always on hand to answer them.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Welcome larry. Great. You are trying to eat healthy. This is a fine knowledgeable group. Ask your questions. All will be there to help answer them.