"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
derailedbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
New from Ohio.

Hi all! I've been lurking for a bit and found this forum extremely informative for my newfound passion for cooking. Im a 36 y/o bachelor, and for most of my life have been living off fast food or gifted girlfriends. Since I've sworn off of the latter for awhile, and since I've always been one to learn to do it myself, I decided to start cooking for myself. At first it was just pre-made meals, but at some point, watching Food Network all the time ignited something in me. I've been trying absolutely everything I can, and despite a few apartment evacuations and ruined meals, I'm still extremely excited about learning all of this. The progression has been through my comfort levels: slow-cooker, stovetop, and now I'm starting to feel comfortable with the oven. My dogs still retreat to the safety of the crate when they here sizzling, but I assure you I'm learning by leaps and bounds. Anyways, I'd like to express my appreciation for all the helpful people on here. I'm an active member of a Harley forum, a chainsaw forum, and now a cooking forum!

__________________

__________________
derailedbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,138
Welcome to DC, Derailed! Good stuff to be found here!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,308
Welcome to DC!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedbus View Post
Hi all! I've been lurking for a bit and found this forum extremely informative for my newfound passion for cooking. Im a 36 y/o bachelor, and for most of my life have been living off fast food or gifted girlfriends. Since I've sworn off of the latter for awhile, and since I've always been one to learn to do it myself, I decided to start cooking for myself. At first it was just pre-made meals, but at some point, watching Food Network all the time ignited something in me. I've been trying absolutely everything I can, and despite a few apartment evacuations and ruined meals, I'm still extremely excited about learning all of this. The progression has been through my comfort levels: slow-cooker, stovetop, and now I'm starting to feel comfortable with the oven. My dogs still retreat to the safety of the crate when they here sizzling, but I assure you I'm learning by leaps and bounds. Anyways, I'd like to express my appreciation for all the helpful people on here. I'm an active member of a Harley forum, a chainsaw forum, and now a cooking forum!
Ohio eh? One of those crazy drivers that get in front of me on the interstate no doubt. Kidding! Nice to meet you :) Susan
__________________
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
derailedbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16
I won't even try to defend the Ohio drivers, Merlot. They're part of the reason that I rarely even leave my own place anymore.
__________________
derailedbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by derailedbus View Post
I won't even try to defend the Ohio drivers, Merlot. They're part of the reason that I rarely even leave my own place anymore.
For the record my family lives in Medina and they drive just fine here or there :D I think
__________________
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,342
Welcome to DC! Hopefully you'll find some fun things to do with food here.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot

For the record my family lives in Medina and they drive just fine here or there :D I think
My sister lives near Medina!!! I was there in November.

Welcome Derailed.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
hello, and welcome to dc, derailed. this is a fun place to land if you like to eat and cook. lots of talk about everything revolving around food, and all other sorts of topics too....stick around and join the cacophony.... :)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,775
hmm, no one offered me cacophony when i joined.

what's it taste like?


welcome, db, from the state that's hi in the middle and round on the ends...
__________________

__________________
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your hometown,
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.