New from South Africa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome to DC, S-David!

I did check your blog and, though your recipes sound great, Momma's recipe for potato salad may have to throw down with your potato salad claim. ;)

Hope to hear more of what you like to cook!

~Kathleen

Hi, Chef Dave! Glad to see I'm not the only amateur here, though you're focusing on cooking while I'm just baking. Good luck with everything--we novices have to look out for each other! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Chef Dave! Glad to see I'm not the only amateur here, though you're focusing on cooking while I'm just baking (my amateur blog's at leighbakes.wordpress.com). Good luck with everything--we novices have to look out for each other! ;)

I had a look at your blog. Very interesting. I have tried baking a few times with reasonable success, although I tend not to follow recipes and just figure it out myself. I think your problem with muffins might be that the mix is too liquid. Since the container is smaller the muffins rise up more quickly, causing the liquid batter to spill over. Try thickening the muffin mix slightly before pouring. I make mine so thick that I have to scrape it off the spoon...

I had a look at your blog. Very interesting. I have tried baking a few times with reasonable success, although I tend not to follow recipes and just figure it out myself. I think your problem with muffins might be that the mix is too liquid. Since the container is smaller the muffins rise up more quickly, causing the liquid batter to spill over. Try thickening the muffin mix slightly before pouring. I make mine so thick that I have to scrape it off the spoon...

That's really helpful. I'd like to try that...but how do I thicken it without changing the flavor? Would cornstarch work?

Whatever flour you are using. Use more of it. If it's premixed and you are not sure, then cornstarch will do. You will find that you need very little to stiffen it up.

Back
Top Bottom