"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #11
Cook

Thanks Josie!

G.G.,

To be sure, please don’t take any of my posts or comments as elitist or know it all. I just get very “focused”. I go through phases of obsession with getting a food or recipe “just right”; after all with all that work it takes we all want to be successful!

At some point I am forced to adopt your philosophy and accept that I simply cant replicate certain things. Like, unless one lives in NYC or have water brought from there, I understand one could never replicate the taste of the pizza dough or bagels in NYC. I wouldn't know, I avoid NYC like the plague.

We may be able to procure the exact ingredients for a dish, but replicating all the other variables exactly is nearly impossible. Thanks for trying to help me right off the bat.

Creative,

Thanks for the welcome! I’m not sure I would call myself “accomplished”…but I have accomplished dipping my fingers in to a lot of different stuff. Some just call it “scatterbrained”!

I am here for the learning and helping. I had a welding instructor impress upon me at a young age that sharing knowledge rather than protecting and withholding it makes the world a smarter place. He came up in the old school unions where it took a decade to even begin to start journeyman work. His mission was to radically cut the apprenticeship time. I was fully employable as a welder the day I graduated high school. It worked.

CraigC,

Thanks for the welcome! I cant remember how I used the limes. I think my wife came home with a kaffir lime tree that had fruit already on it. At some point I harvested them. There's a very good chance I used them in a Tom Yum Koong. I was on a tear trying to get Tom Yum just right, so that would make sense.

The tree didn’t make it through the winter. I get tired of tripping over freeze weak potted trees in the garage so we lose them. I’m starting to get my head around a greenhouse. I’m starting to cold frame garden, so that’s the logical next step.

S&P,

I look forward to it!

Tags
virginia