"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 10-03-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

New Guy

Hello,

Where to start...I love food. I love buying, preparing, cooking and sharing food. I'm contantly surprised how much there is to know in learning and implementing new recipes, finding out a new fruit, veg, or cut of meat. Now that that's out of the way, here's me:

I started to be interested in food when I felt a sort of eating-malaise come over me at about age 15. I had taken a few "Home Economics" classes in school and had a blast destroying dishes and making mediocre sauces to the chagrin of my very angry, Welsh teacher. At about the same time, I began to notice that the cafeteria lunches, fast foods, and boxes of fish fingers and the other pre-prepared foods of my daily diet were not cutting it for me anymore.

Something had to be done.

I toyed with the idea of becoming vegetarian in order to remove some of the more unhealthy aspects of my diet. Burgers, steaks *sniffle,* chicken, lamb; all were taken off my menu so that I could focus on making healthier dishes. My idea was to restrict what I could eat so that my culinary skills would be forced flourish. I began learning about fish, legumes, soy. All could be used in different ways; ways that I was intent on learning.

Looking back, I am glad to have forced myself through that time. It was fun trying to make sushi the first couple of times; fun trying new sauces to make the soy to not taste like...well, er..soy; great learning that rice and beans can be as filling and tasty as any spicy curry; great making soups that had my roommates in college convinced that they were eating meat. I learned alot from those days.

Frankly, I'm surprised I haven't been a member here since day one. Nice to meet you all.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Welcome to DC Gumbotron! It’s a great place, and I’m sure you’ll love it here.

Are you still practicing vegetarianism?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Welcome Gumbotron, so nice to have you join us.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to MsAnya Send a message via MSN to MsAnya Send a message via Yahoo to MsAnya
Welcome to DC, Gumbotron! :)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

Welcome Gumbotroni! Look forward to you sharing a speciality or two - since joining this killer place I'v backlogged a bunch of cooking projects I want to undertake. Got to get on it - like putting together a vegetarian borsch recipe to post up on Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans.

Don't be a stranger. :)
Old 10-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I am no longer a vegetarian. After sharing a dorm room with 4 certified carnivores, I felt that it was time to start eating meat again (I was never ethically or politically motivated as a vegetarian). Besides, the steak was awesome.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Welcome, Gum. You will discover that this site is filled with members who are enthusiastic about food of any kind. Some of the posts make us hungry and envious, too. What great fun!

Sit down and plan to stick around for a nice long time. We're glad you've found us.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Welcome! If you have any tofu recipes, let me know :) I'm always looking for a new way to make healthy dishes. Enjoy yourself here!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:13 AM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Welcome to DC! Hope you enjoy your stay here!