"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Yeah crab cakes!!!! Oh man crabs may not be in season but we do have some oysters Oyster po boy anyone?? :)

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Ontario! Oh awesome. Would love some real maple syrup :)

Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You just had to rub it in <g>. Well, the sap's running here in SE Ontario.
The sap is running here too, but it's just my BIL.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:47 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.f.Dowell View Post
Yeah crab cakes!!!! Oh man crabs may not be in season but we do have some oysters Oyster po boy anyone?? :)
Me! I can't find oysters anywhere around here!

Welcome to DC, Erik.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Never been a big oyster fan... now if your talking rockfish...
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #16
Head Chef

Welcome to our world of cooking and eating
now if we could only find someone to clean it all up after us!!
Old 03-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Welcome to our world of cooking and eating
now if we could only find someone to clean it all up after us!!
No kidding! That is the part about cooking from scratch that I hate--the cleanup. Cleaning as you cook is the motto my mother taught me, but I still seem to have tons of dishes, pans, etc., to wash and put away when all is said and done. And, without a dishwasher, that is sometimes overwhelming (we have a dishwasher, the DH won't install it because he sees it as a waste of energy and what's wrong with washing three sinkfuls of dishes after cooking and baking for us, and cooking for the dogs ??? I'm working on it...). I have to say, when he's not here, cooking and cleaning up are a lot easier <g>.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ontario! Oh awesome. Would love some real maple syrup :)
It is raining today so I don't think I'm going to hike out to the "lake" and gather sap. (I do have other boots and will wear those rather than the leaky boot when I go out tomorrow). The flow slows down if it is cloudy or cool. The night temps have to stay above freezing and daytime temps can't go over ...I think 45--I can't remember. If it is too warm, there is a risk of bacteria developing. The trees that aren't in the "lake" produced over 8 liters for each tap yesterday (5 taps=40 liters = 1 liter of syrup)! The DH is evap'ing sap like crazy <g>. We're just at the beginning of the season--if the weather holds, we should have at least 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 of sap before temps get too warm...It is a bit of work--we don't have a sugar shack so we use the forge as the heat source on which to evap the syrup. It takes about 24 hours. My dad uses one of those propane turkey fryers--he runs that all day, and then the next day he finishes the sap on the stove. I just don't need that much moisture in the house! The good news, you can freeze sap for about 12 months. This means that we can evap inside when we fire up the woodstove during the deep freeze in December/January and evap on top of the woodstove.

Am I the only one here who's making maple syrup?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322

It is raining today so I don't think I'm going to hike out to the "lake" and gather sap. (I do have other boots and will wear those rather than the leaky boot when I go out tomorrow). The flow slows down if it is cloudy or cool. The night temps have to stay above freezing and daytime temps can't go over ...I think 45--I can't remember. If it is too warm, there is a risk of bacteria developing. The trees that aren't in the "lake" produced over 8 liters for each tap yesterday (5 taps=40 liters = 1 liter of syrup)! The DH is evap'ing sap like crazy <g>. We're just at the beginning of the season--if the weather holds, we should have at least 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 of sap before temps get too warm...It is a bit of work--we don't have a sugar shack so we use the forge as the heat source on which to evap the syrup. It takes about 24 hours. My dad uses one of those propane turkey fryers--he runs that all day, and then the next day he finishes the sap on the stove. I just don't need that much moisture in the house! The good news, you can freeze sap for about 12 months. This means that we can evap inside when we fire up the woodstove during the deep freeze in December/January and evap on top of the woodstove.

Am I the only one here who's making maple syrup?
Wow! That is intense.. You sure know a ton about maple syrup. That's amazing, I would love to see the process of it... I somehow imagine it to be a sticky job. Impressive.