New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik.f.Dowell

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone. Found this as an app for my new phone. I currently live in maryland and love to cook. I attend a community college studying culinary arts and will be transferring to art institute this summer hope I can pick up some useful things on this site thanks for having me

Hey everyone. Found this as an app for my new phone. I currently live in maryland and love to cook. I attend a community college studying culinary arts and will be transferring to art institute this summer hope I can pick up some useful things on this site thanks for having me
Hi, and welcome to DC:chef:

Welcome to DC and PLEASE don't make all of us drool on our keyboards telling us about the succulent crab you can get in Maryland (just kidding).

Welcome to DC and PLEASE don't make all of us drool on our keyboards telling us about the succulent crab you can get in Maryland (just kidding).

May I do that? :LOL:

Just kidding, we are not in crab season yet, still in oyster season. ;)

Welcome to our world of cooking and eating
now if we could only find someone to clean it all up after us!!

No kidding! That is the part about cooking from scratch that I hate--the cleanup. Cleaning as you cook is the motto my mother taught me, but I still seem to have tons of dishes, pans, etc., to wash and put away when all is said and done. And, without a dishwasher, that is sometimes overwhelming (we have a dishwasher, the DH won't install it because he sees it as a waste of energy and what's wrong with washing three sinkfuls of dishes after cooking and baking for us, and cooking for the dogs ??? I'm working on it...). I have to say, when he's not here, cooking and cleaning up are a lot easier <g>.

Ontario! Oh awesome. Would love some real maple syrup :)

It is raining today so I don't think I'm going to hike out to the "lake" and gather sap. (I do have other boots and will wear those rather than the leaky boot when I go out tomorrow). The flow slows down if it is cloudy or cool. The night temps have to stay above freezing and daytime temps can't go over ...I think 45--I can't remember. If it is too warm, there is a risk of bacteria developing. The trees that aren't in the "lake" produced over 8 liters for each tap yesterday (5 taps=40 liters = 1 liter of syrup)! The DH is evap'ing sap like crazy <g>. We're just at the beginning of the season--if the weather holds, we should have at least 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 of sap before temps get too warm...It is a bit of work--we don't have a sugar shack so we use the forge as the heat source on which to evap the syrup. It takes about 24 hours. My dad uses one of those propane turkey fryers--he runs that all day, and then the next day he finishes the sap on the stove. I just don't need that much moisture in the house! The good news, you can freeze sap for about 12 months. This means that we can evap inside when we fire up the woodstove during the deep freeze in December/January and evap on top of the woodstove.

Am I the only one here who's making maple syrup?

CWS4322 said:
It is raining today so I don't think I'm going to hike out to the "lake" and gather sap. (I do have other boots and will wear those rather than the leaky boot when I go out tomorrow). The flow slows down if it is cloudy or cool. The night temps have to stay above freezing and daytime temps can't go over ...I think 45--I can't remember. If it is too warm, there is a risk of bacteria developing. The trees that aren't in the "lake" produced over 8 liters for each tap yesterday (5 taps=40 liters = 1 liter of syrup)! The DH is evap'ing sap like crazy <g>. We're just at the beginning of the season--if the weather holds, we should have at least 2-3 weeks, maybe 4 of sap before temps get too warm...It is a bit of work--we don't have a sugar shack so we use the forge as the heat source on which to evap the syrup. It takes about 24 hours. My dad uses one of those propane turkey fryers--he runs that all day, and then the next day he finishes the sap on the stove. I just don't need that much moisture in the house! The good news, you can freeze sap for about 12 months. This means that we can evap inside when we fire up the woodstove during the deep freeze in December/January and evap on top of the woodstove.

Am I the only one here who's making maple syrup?

Wow! That is intense.. You sure know a ton about maple syrup. That's amazing, I would love to see the process of it... I somehow imagine it to be a sticky job. Impressive.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom