New guy from CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome! It is a great place to play with your food. One of my first inspirations to really pursue cooking was a World War One Army cook's manual left in a my grandmother's house by an uncle who had served. It really opened my eyes to the manageable but technical things that go into putting food on the table. Thank you for your service.

NoraC said:
Welcome! It is a great place to play with your food. One of my first inspirations to really pursue cooking was a World War One Army cook's manual left in a my grandmother's house by an uncle who had served. It really opened my eyes to the manageable but technical things that go into putting food on the table. Thank you for your service.

I would love to see that. That's very cool. Are there recipes in it? If so please let me know?

Sadly no. But if its dark maybe nobody would notice.
We'll notice--we like purple (and purple spray
paint is really hard to find-I could only find lavender last week-- but that might be a Canadian issue). Maybe we could figure out how to make some purple bootie covers for them--like figure skaters wear. Of course, they won't be as snazzy as PF's purple shoes...my purple ones are crocs...oh, and I have a pair of purple Birkenstock clogs, but those are suede so I can only wear those if it isn't raining and there is no dew on the grass...unlikely, since the Mothership travels at night.

Talking about dirty shoes today I got messy at work. Normally I work at nights like 10pm to 5am. I have a crew of 5 and we have plenty of space in the kitchen but today I worked days and had one tiny table.
I made a ton of desserts and ended up looking like I'm wearing something from everything I made.

Talking about dirty shoes today I got messy at work. Normally I work at nights like 10pm to 5am. I have a crew of 5 and we have plenty of space in the kitchen but today I worked days and had one tiny table.
I made a ton of desserts and ended up looking like I'm wearing something from everything I made.
My kitchen looks like that right now--I made chocolate ice cream and for some reason, I have chocolate and salt everywhere.

I enjoy making ice cream. I like crazy flavor combinations.
I made rhubarb ice cream a couple of weeks ago. This was more Mexican inspired with lime, peppercorns, and a hot pepper. I posted the link re: inspiration in the Homemade Ice Cream thread. I didn't follow the recipe exactly (I rarely do) but used it for my jumping off point. Ice cream is my theme for the summer. I can hardly wait for strawberry season (I want to make buttermilk-strawberry ice cream). I finally have an ice cream maker that I like and gives me the results I want. I made avocado ice cream last summer...hope to make it again. Hopefully, I won't end up gaining 50 lb!

That's awesome. I've made a dark chocolate I think I started with 85% and a splash of raspberry for some sweet and I think there were 2 peppers in it. I roasted them first. I hardly ever follow a recipe exactly. I usually make my own based off someone else.

That's awesome. I've made a dark chocolate I think I started with 85% and a splash of raspberry for some sweet and I think there were 2 peppers in it. I roasted them first. I hardly ever follow a recipe exactly. I usually make my own based off someone else.
I am in the process of moving--couldn't find the raspberry syrup...thought it was in the cupboard with the vinegars, but it might still be at the farm. So I didn't add that, this time. Did you like the combination? I used dark, bittersweet, and white chocolate. I thought about adding grated chocolate to it at the end, but it is quite chocolatey, so I skipped that. I infused two .... scot's bonnet? peppers? I bought them in TX--they are dried and very, very hot. There's another name for them as well-I know them when I see them and when we have them in the garden.

The rhubarb ice cream was awesome. I don't like rhubarb that much, but we have something like 14 plants (I thought we had nine--I was wrong). I did a "rhubarb" menu where I made rhubarb won tons, rhubarb and cuke marinated salad, rhubarb, chickpea, and Swiss Chard curry, and rhubarb ice cream. I posted the link for the inspiration in the Homemade Ice Cream thread (or maybe it was in the gardening thread). Anyway, I'll be making that ice cream again. It was really good. I used buttermilk instead of milk in that one.

I've only tasted rhubarb once a very long time ago. I can't remember the taste.
Well since this thread is my intro maybe I should tell you what got me into cooking. I was in JR High and I was taking homeck. A guy from Johnson and Wales came to class and did a demo. I knew at that moment I wanted to cook. He did banana foster. It was so very cool.
Fast forward to High School I placed 5th in a competition and got a partial scholarship to J & W but I didn't want the huge school bill at the end so I joined the Army for school money and decided to stay in. I've been in now since 96. I would love to go to culinary school at some point but right now I have to pay the bills. Someday maybe.

Back
Top Bottom