"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

New guy from Texas

Hello! My name is Brandon and I am a total novice at cooking. I feel that it would be a very good skill to learn and that is why I am here. My current diet consists primarily of cold cut sandwiches and take out! Definitely not a good thing. I'm looking forward to reading up a bunch of stuff on the forums, and getting insight when I feel most lost from the more experienced people here.

Wish me luck!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Cupcake

Hi, Brandon! Welcome to DC. We were all novices at some point, and are all still novices at some things. Do you have a place that you wish to start?

Soups and stews are pretty forgiving for a new cook. So is grilling. What types of foods do you want to cook? Chances are there will be someone who is interested in those same things.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't fully put much thought into what I want to learn how to cook. I'd like to learn to cook all kinds of things from omelettes to stir fries to delicious steaks to fancy desserts. I live alone, so if I do try something, and butcher it, its not a big deal to make a PB&J and try again the next night.

Biggest set-back will probably be the fact that I do not eat chicken. I don't much care for it. So I'll be steering clear of chicken recipes.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Head Chef

Hi GI JOE.
Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Is there any place I should start? A sticky or a forum for newbies? I really don't know where I should start, other than buying ingredients and trying recipes. Which seems like it could become a real waste of money.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Maybe if you told us what you would like to start with we could point you in the right direction.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC! I take it you were in the military? If so, thanks for your service

Take your time, peruse this forum, lots of great recipes! We all started out as new cooks!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
Head Chef

Since your interested in Stir Frying read Stir-Frying to the sky's edge by Grace Young. It has helped me a lot.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Cupcake

What types of things do you have access?

Slow cooker?

Big pot for cooking?

Skillets?

Omelets are not difficult and are a good way to use up some leftovers. Also, they can make a fast meal. So what to make first. Without knowing a single thing about you, I suggest Chili. Here is why: No two people make it the same, so you can get input from everyone. Brawls have started over who makes the best chili...so once you have a great recipe in the bag, you can challenge friends. It's pretty forgiving regarding cooking times.

You have choices to make: Beans/no beans. Tomatoes/no tomatoes. Meat choices: beef, buffalo, bison, deer, chicken...tofu. Okay, the last one may cost you some throw down points in SOME circles, but will impress others to pieces. The list goes on and on.

So...consider the meat, and make a few choices and search here for chili....or toss it in Google. I'm a beef/deer, with beans, and tomatoes type of girl, personally. When I searched for Beef chili recipe with beans and tomatoes, this is the result that I was given on Google. Pick one and we will all suggest a side. :)
Old 01-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quick responses to your posts before I do a little more reading and go to bed...

Dawglover, No i was not in the military. This is just the same screen name i've used online since I was 12. Wish I could have joined, and fully support the military in every way that I can though.

Thanks powerplantop for the book suggestion. I'll check it out. I work in the nuclear power industry so based on your screen name, we may have a little bit in common, work wise.

kathleen, right now, I have a couple of those $100 pots and pans sets. One is stainless steel, and the other is teflon coated. No cast iron, no huge pots, no slow cookers. Anything I may need (with a reasonable price tag), I don't mind running out to pick up though.

I suppose I just need to jump in head first instead of trying to get my feet a little wet. I'm going to dig up a couple recipes and go grocery shopping tomorrow.

Tags
texas