"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
Nice to know about the urgent thing, because that just might happen.

guineapig0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I agree with SG on the garlic:) and putting everything together beforehand, prepping, and setting it aside will definitely be helpful to get started (they call it "mise en place" - and it's one of the best pieces of advice I've had when following a brand new recipe for me). I have a feeling you'll be quite successful! And remember to have fun while you're at it!!!

Burgerbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Welcome to DC, BB. Good advice.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #14
Head Chef
Welcome to DC Burgerbabe

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
Master Chef
Welcome! We'll have you whipped into shape in no time at all! If I'd really never cooked before, I'd stick to recipes to the letter for awhile. Then once you've tried a recipe once, you can branch off, changing it to your taste. Beware of friends who, like me, can be off-the-cuff because we've been cooking so long. I know I'm likely to "tell" someone how to make a dish they enjoyed my house, or even write the recipe from memory. Often this means that I forget something crucial.

If you have a friend who has a specialty you like, if possible and plausible, invite them over or ask to be invited for the preparation, so you can take notes!

Just so you know, you found out that a clove is one section, a head the entire thing when it comes to garlic. Celery is another confusing one. A stalk is the entire thing, a rib is one piece. Anyone else got any basics that are good hints to know when you read a recipe?
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #16
Hi Guinea Pig! Welcome! I am new too but have been cooking for about a year and a half. I know just how you feel, because when I started cooking, I thought I could substitute baking powder for baking soda and no one would no the different! (Turns out it messes up your cookies real bad.) Now, I've taken some classes, but still have a lot to learn.

The "urgent" feature is a great tip! I'll try to figure that out - and will probably be using it when I have some kitchen emergencies. I also love how big this place is! Pretty much every cooking and kitchen topic is covered - and then some! So glad to be a part of this community.
All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast. -John Gunther
My food blog - The Pink Palate
Lorrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Yes this place is huge like never ending :) I just learned something else. I know a whole thing of celery was a stalk, but didn't know a piece was called a rib. I would have had no clue what that ment if I saw that on a recipe. Thanks! Everyone is so friendly and inviteing. At least I am not going to be scared here to ask questions. I am a quite person and I always feel dumb if I don't know something even though I know I shoudln't. It's just kind of how I am. My guinea pigs(I have 6 and 1 dog) eat way better than me. I can't wait to start cooking. Not just on the crock pot, but on the stove to! It is exciting and scary lol
guineapig0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Head Chef
Welcome, everyone!
guineapig, a crockpot's a smart place to start. you're well on your way; we'll help you get there.

spork is offline   Reply With Quote