The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinaFine

Senior Cook
In the past year, I have begun to have a passion for sourdough. Long ago, I was baking my own bread, but stopped after my children were born. Recently, I became very interested in Sourdough, and have been looking all over for literature and information which isnt easy to find. I have three starters that I made, which have been serving me well. One of them was originally a dried starter from the "Sourdough Jack" cookbook which I aquired many years ago. If anyone would like to share recipes or has advice and information about sourdough cookery, I would welcome it, and I have a very good recipe for a sourdough wheat that I came up with using part barley flour. It is mostly sourdough, but I use a tablespoon of yeast at the end to give it an extra lift. I quess purists would cringe, but the bread is really good. I would be interested in any other ways to use the starters besides in bread, If anyone has any recipes.

Dina:chef:

Dina, we're so glad you're here!
Sourdough is one of my favorite treats!

Anytime you want to post your recipe, please do - I know many of us would love to see it!

Okay, here goes.

I call it Golden Sourdough with Honey.

I start with one cup of sourdough starter already prepared.

I fresh grind flour from grain in a Vitamix. 1/4 cup Barley and 3/4 cup whole wheat. I quess anyone can just combine the flours that way to get about 4 cups flour.
4 tsp. Olive Oil
3/4 Cup Honey
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon yeast
1 cup water

Starting with 1 cup white sourdough starter, add 2 cups unbleached white flour and 2 cups filtered water. Set in a warm place for 12 hours or overnight. Sour will be bubbly, and liquid will have gathered on top.

Stir down, and remove on cup of starter to return to refrigerator in a glass jar.

Combine remaining batter with water, Olive Oil, honey, salt and two cups of the wheat and barley combination.

Allow to bubble and ferment for 12 more hours.

Stir down, add yeast, and enough flour ( start adding what is left of the flour combination and then switch to white) to allow you to knead it briefly in the bowl. Turn onto board and knead 10 minutes.

Place in a clean oiled bowl. Oil the top of the dough with olive oil. Refigerate for 12 hours or overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator and allow to reach room temperature. Punch down and knead briefly. Divide dough into two balls. Elongate slightly and place in oblong baking pans. Allow to rise until dough reaches tops of pans.With sourdough, it is harder to say exactly how long the rise will take, so you have to use best judgement. the dough should be springy, but maintain a slight indentation when poked.

Make 3 diagonal slits with a sharp knife, brush with and egg combined with 1 tsp water. Bake for 45 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Loves will sound hollow when tapped and be golden brown.

enjoy

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

I'm knew here too and look forward to making new friends. Doesn't this look like a really nice site?

I'm here y'all

Hi everyone, my name is Billy and I am new to the forum. I've been a home cook for many years and love to make new things. Hi Half Baked Jan, howya?

Half Baked said:

I'm knew here too and look forward to making new friends. Doesn't this look like a really nice site?

yes it does, and Im glad I found it. i sure can learn a lot, and am looking forward to making new friends. So, Hello, Ya all.

Half Baked said:

[Really nice, and thank you for the welcome]

welcome dina!!!!

i've caught a few of your posts, so i'm backtracking to send you this welcome.

n. bellmore, huh? would that be nawth bellmaw, lawn guyland?

buckytom said:
welcome dina!!!!

i've caught a few of your posts, so i'm backtracking to send you this welcome.

n. bellmore, huh? would that be nawth bellmaw, lawn guyland?

[sure would! Not t oo far from joisy. :brows:]

Back
Top Bottom