The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marko

Cook
Howdy folks!

I am new here. I am a chef and a food writer looking to mix and mingle with other foodies. I have a blog where I write about cooking, dining, eating and wine. I have a lot of step-by-step demos with photos and a lot of recipes to share. I have tried to include a link to my site, but I'm too new here and must post 20 times before I can add a link. I hope to do so soon.

It's nice to be here and I hope to share with you.

Marko

Welcome to the group Marko!
Glad to have ya. What's your favorite thing to cook/eat??

Hi!

I really don't have a favorite or a specialty. I was classically trained and learned international as well as French cooking. Once in the industry, Fusion Cuisine was what I specialized in which is a blend of many styles.

Marko

Hello Marko,

I'm a chef over here in Ontario. I've been wanting to check out B.C. right after I do a circuit in California. (if that ever happens)

welcome to DC!

quick question, a buddy an I were talking about poutine last night. He doesn't think its served much in BC. is that true? is poutine a rarity?

welcome000647np.gif

Thanks all!! The group seems quite nice and friendly. That's a good thing!! Robo and Fincher...BC is the greatest place I have ever been and I am fortunate enough to live in Penticton. BC - right in the lap of the wine and fruit belt. The Okanagan (here) is where the best fruit I have ever eaten is produced and I am surrounded by lush vineyards and wineries. It's just about the best place for a chef to live other than beside the sea perhaps. But, that's a matter of perspective, huh?

Unfortunately, I an just packing up to move back to Toronto after 14 years of living in BC. I have a wonderful new gig as The Executive Chef of a mansion turned Inn and banquet facility that was built by the Eaton Family. Yes...the same family that started Eaton's department stores. Anyway...I have that and the love of my life waiting for me in Ontario. It's a strong enough combination to pull me out of the quiet mountain life I have known for so long.

I'll have the link to my cooking/dining blog up after I post 20 posts on the board here. I hope you will have a look and tell me what you think.

As for Poutine Fincher...I have seen it up in Whistler in some of the bars there. I ran it myself on a pub menu I had going as a part of a facility I ran up there for years. Whistler has a lot of French Canadiens, so poutine is a welcome inclusion to the food available. And did I mention...the French girls?! Ooh-la-la!!

Marko

lol my last job was a chef at a mansion turned into an Inn, It was a blast. Unfortuanely it was seasonal work. so now I'm working at a mansion turned into an inn.. lol A mansion previously owned by Sam Jake.

I'm starting @ Eaton Hall in around the 17th of January. It's in King City. It's stunning and I can't wait!! Look it up in the net.

Marko

we live in a great age, not just because of fast shipping, but because of the interest in fine food and careful growing raising of it. I'm here in the mid Atlantic near to the seafood of the Chesapeake and the ocean, surrounded by mushroom country and Amish and organic farms growing spectacular fruit and produce, pastured birds and meats, fresh butter and artisinal cheeses. (there is a farm down the road that makes the best feta I've had outside of Bulgaria and Greece!)

And my area is not alone ... all over North America we are getting serious about regionality and such quality. So you will find the unique offerings of your new area. Enjoy the adventure, eh?

Ontario offers much in the way of...well...everything! I'll be in a rural area in King City and I want to try to deal with local producers if I can. I'm going to be rewriting all menus and bringing the food up to the standard that the GM would like to see. They want this to be a "white glove" property. The culinary team and management has let thing sslide over the years and the idea is to restore it to its former glory.

In doing this, I want to not only bring the food up in presentation and complexity, but I want to use the freshest local ingredients I can find. I'm going to have to get my suppliers listed in a hurry so I can see where I'm going with the new menus.

It's roll up the sleeve time for me!!

Back
Top Bottom