New Member-A bit about me for you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardyboy86

Assistant Cook
Hi there all,

This is my first post. I've been snooping around the forums for a while, and have really liked the feel of this community. Let me tell you a little about myself!@

Right now I am studying Cognitive Science and Philosophy at the university of toronto. I am originally from Washington DC.

I've been cooking for only 3 years now. I grew up going to an international school, so i had lots of friends from all over the world. As consequence, i was able to taste a lot of diferent types of foods throughout my short life (i am 22 now). However, I am a semi-vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian (only eat chicken) since i was 7, so for 15 years now. As such, I have pretty much realized that i will never be a cook, but I dont really mind, as cooking is a passion, but not my only one.

This summer i got an internship to learn the art of "slow cooking" at the American Academy of Architecture in Rome. I will be working with an understudy of Alice Waters, from the famous Chez Panisse restaurant in Berkley, CA. I am very excited, as The restaurant was ranked #20 in the world last year and Ms. Talbott was actually the executive chef for the Clinton Administration. I think my cooking skills will be "pre-rome" and "post-rome".

I myself Have steadily tried my hand at many different varieties of cooking. I prefer spicy food, but will try anything, particularly if it is healthy. I am also a workout-aholic, and box in my free time.

Right now, in Toronto i visit the "st. lawrence market" every week. If you havent been, it is billed as the largest indoor marketplace in N. america. It is truly a great asset for a cook. With all of the different ethnicities in toronto, one can expect to find EVERYTHING in the city, particularly at this market. I have a butcher, fruit/vegetable guy, and a baker that I have befriended and look forward to seeing every week. It is also a place where one can find rare spices, great homemade sauces, unique and exotic fruits, and great varieties of all things cooking. I am truly blessed.

Cheers to all, and thanks for having me!:chef:

Welcome to DC..Glad you've decided to join in..There are many recipes and ideas here and wonderful people who quickly become friends...Look around and enjoy ..

kadesma:)

Welcome to DC. I bet Toronto is a fantastic place to get great ingredients and preparation ideas. I was in Toronto for a recent birthday and we splurged at Centro (among other places). Really spectacular. We got tons of ideas for dishes to make when we got back home. I can't wait to go back. Hope you enjoy DC as much as I enjoyed Toronto!!

Welcome to DC to one from D.C. How lucky are you. Sounds like some great experiences past and future. Perhaps you'll change the meat thing once in Italy. Don't know how you'll get around the pork or fish thing.
I'm GREEN with envy at your baker alliance up there.
None down here on the west coast Fl. The closest bread is on the east/miami coast and I NEED BREAD!
Dave C. your funny!

The older I get, the more I become myself.

Back
Top Bottom