New Member from Grand Rapids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi vitauta and thanks for the welcome! This is the nicest, friendliest message board of any kind I've ever been on! :) This can only serve as increased impetus to try my hand at cooking, as I'm a rank beginner. I've seen a lot of great pictures of some of the meals prepared by some of the members. Wow, looks mightee larapin! :chef:

Mike

Good afternoon from North Wales I am Goodweed's mentor :)

Mentor! I was around to help discover fire, and I made the first axle to join a pair of stone wheels together. I watched the Rockies grow from an ant hill into the mountains they are today. My first pet was a stegosaurus. The first thing I ever cooked was sabertooth leapord cheeks.:ohmy: My mentor. Comrade, certainly, friend, absolutely. But I was here first.:LOL:;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Mentor! I was around to help discover fire, and I made the first axle to join a pair of stone wheels together. I watched the Rockies grow from an ant hill into the mountains they are today. My first pet was a stegosaurus. The first thing I ever cooked was sabertooth leapord cheeks.:ohmy: My mentor. Comrade, certainly, friend, absolutely. But I was here first.:LOL:;)

He even remembers vinyl records...

Well, Mike! What do you want to learn to cook?

Please, not sabertooth leopard cheeks...Goodweed always butters them.

Bagger this dyslexia, sorry Weed I meant mental and left out friend.

Yes, I'm a bit goofy. But I also know a bit about cooking. One of the first things I learned to cook was pancakes, at my Dad's side. They were genuine Aunt Jemima pancakes, with the recipe straight from the box. When I move away from home, I was determined to learn how to cook, without pre-made mixes, as much as possible. My wife had a "from scratch" pancake recipe that was given to us in a cookbook at our wedding reception. The recipe was fair, and certainly better than Aunt Jemima pancakes. Sometimes they would come out good, and sometimes they would come out extraordinary. I didn't know what I was doing different when they came out better. My eldest daughter, the one moving to Grand Rapids, noticed that when they came out better, I was sloppy when measuring oil into the batter. I took that cue and put my science skills to work. I carefully measured all of the ingredients, and figured out just the right ratio of everything to make them come out consistently great.

This recipe is fairly famous, and is my signature recipe. I share it with you.

Goodweed's World Famous Pancakes

Preheat stick-free griddle over medium heat.

Ingredients:
Dry - Whisk together in a large bowl
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
2 tbs. sugar

Wet: Add
1 large egg
2/4 cup milk
3 tbs. cooking oil

Whisk together to make a batter with small lumps. Fold in 1/2 cup fresh blueberries if you want.

Lightly oil the griddle. Place 3 tbs. of batter in opposite corners of the pan. Let cook until the batter begins to bubble on top. When bubbles begin to pop, flip the pancakes. Cook for another minutes. Remove to plates and serve immediately with syrup, honey, or jam. Recipe makes about 8 medium sized, very light and fluffy pancakes.

You can make more simply by doubling all of the ingredients. Enjoy.

Oh, and be sure to try out Charlie D's pancake recipe. It's very different from mine, but very good too.

Hi Bolas, glad to know you too! How is everything in North Wales? We have sunny, comfortable weather here but we have had a bit of a warm summer, and a lot of rain. I hope we can dry out a while. Thanks all of you great people for the super warm welcome! I feel right to homely-like already! :)

Mike
The weather is mixed as usual, the mood across the UK is sombre, my kid brother is spending the weekend with us which is always fun!

Hmmm, yes, I've seen what's happening across the UK. Very sad business. In Michigan we have gotten bit of a late start on the hot weather. The 4th. of July was actually cool here whereas we're normally very hot and humid. We have had that too, plus a lot of rain this season. Out tomatoes are pricey and scarce because of a late blight due to the prolonged cool and wet spring. Bumper crop for apples tho.

Vinyl records, yes, still have a few of those too. Goodweed, it sounds like you learned very quickly cooking without mixes and such, very good. You must've been that guy in the cave across the canyon who discovered fire, I heard about it after I'd moved into the neighborhood. Thank you for the recipe. And I didn't know Charlie Daniels had a pancake recipe.

What do I want to learn to cook? Oh, I'd say something pretty simple at first. I have never had "Toad In The Hole", or "Welch Rarebit". By viewing some recipes for both they ought to be pretty straightforward. I'd probably still goof it up the first few outings. Pictures of "Toad In The Hole" I've seen show a dish that looks simply dee-lish! One problem I have to address early out the gate, so to speak, is to clear enough room for a prep area. I apologize for the ratchet jawin', they said this sodium pentathol would wear off, in about a month. ;) Don't worry, I ought to be locked up for keeping some of the company I have over the years. By rights I ought to be in a straight jacket at the Laughing Academy. :ROFLMAO:

Mike

Hi Bolas, glad to know you too! How is everything in North Wales? We have sunny, comfortable weather here but we have had a bit of a warm summer, and a lot of rain. I hope we can dry out a while. :)

Mike
About the same here Mike.
Ps Overhere Lav is used as a shortened version of Lavatory :)

Oy, who knew? My username is a kind of condensation of a character name, Louis Avery Filer. We have been generaly dry here for a while but we may get some rain today.

Mike

my grandma used to only use 8/16 c. in hers, and they always came out perfect....

Hmmmm. If I remember my third grade lessons correctly, 2/4 = 8/16 = 1/2. 3 tbs. = 1/8 cup. 3 tsp. = 1 tbs. 18 ounces (volume measurement) = 1 cup. So 24 tsp. = 18 oz. = 1 cup.

Darned you guys. You made me have to think.:wacko::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Na. I didn't create fire. I'm the guy who learned to use it to cook a rabbit.:LOL:

Hmmmm. If I remember my third grade lessons correctly, 2/4 = 8/16 = 1/2. 3 tbs. = 1/8 cup. 3 tsp. = 1 tbs. 18 ounces (volume measurement) = 1 cup. So 24 tsp. = 18 oz. = 1 cup.

Darned you guys. You made me have to think.:wacko::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Na. I didn't create fire. I'm the guy who learned to use it to cook a rabbit.:LOL:

You should probably also mention that the pancake recipe was supposed to state 3/4 of a cup instead of your wonky method of stating a half cup. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom