New member from the "Center of the Universe"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ixamnis

Cook
Hello, new member here. My name is Mark. My user name is "ixamnis," which could be pronounced "I Examine Eyes" since I am an Optometrist.

I'm on a journey to become more healthy in my eating and my lifestyle, and that includes learning to cook more healthy meals. I enjoy cooking and I am learning how to use fresh ingredients and to cook with less calories and less carbs.

I have a fairly large family (Myself, my wife, two children, their spouses, six grandchildren) and we usually eat together about once a week.

In the past several months, I have lost 70 (almost) pounds and am 30 pounds away from my goal weight. I'm 5'8" and I want to get down to 160 - 165 lbs. I am diabetic and have been on medications for diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides and hypertension. During this "get healthy" journey, I have been able to eliminate more than half of my medications. My numbers are all now in the normal range on only one diabetic medication and no blood pressure medication. I'm still taking Simvastatin and a medication for triglycerides.

My wife has been on this journey as well, and she is near her goal weight.

I'm here to learn, mostly, as I probably have very little information to share. But as time goes on and I learn and experiment more, I'm hoping to be a contributor, as well.

Thank you for this forum, and i hope we get to be friends.

Hello, new member here. My name is Mark. My user name is "ixamnis," which could be pronounced "I Examine Eyes" since I am an Optometrist.

I'm on a journey to become more healthy in my eating and my lifestyle, and that includes learning to cook more healthy meals. I enjoy cooking and I am learning how to use fresh ingredients and to cook with less calories and less carbs.

I have a fairly large family (Myself, my wife, two children, their spouses, six grandchildren) and we usually eat together about once a week.

In the past several months, I have lost 70 (almost) pounds and am 30 pounds away from my goal weight. I'm 5'8" and I want to get down to 160 - 165 lbs. I am diabetic and have been on medications for diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides and hypertension. During this "get healthy" journey, I have been able to eliminate more than half of my medications. My numbers are all now in the normal range on only one diabetic medication and no blood pressure medication. I'm still taking Simvastatin and a medication for triglycerides.

I'm here to learn, mostly, as I probably have very little information to share. But as time goes on and I learn and experiment more, I'm hoping to be a contributor, as well.

Hi, Mark and welcome to Discuss Cooking! That's a lot of people to cook for on a regular basis! How fun! Glad to have you join us :)

Welcome to DC! Being from Ontario, I thought you would be from the center of the universe, a/k/a as Toronto! I don't eat anything white--no white flour, rice, or pasta. I shrunk 5 sizes once I started doing that (I am still 5'6". but I am now a size 4/6). I don't weigh myself--I just know that I am now "slim" (don't call me skinny or I will punch you in the face). I eat my big meal in the morning. I don't eat any desserts, sweets. I don't miss the desserts, pasta, or rice. Just don't ask me to give up chickpeas!

Last edited:
Welcome to DC, Mark. :flowers:

Congratulations to you and your wife on the results of your healthy eating journey, and may you both have continued success! :chef:

Welcome, and congratulations on your weight loss and reduced meds.

I was in Kansas just last week. It's a lot like North Texas -- lots of horizon. :mrgreen:

Cooking is a great way to lose weight and improve health, because YOU control what goes into your meals. When I travel for weeks at a time for business, I always gain weight. Even a salad at a restaurant seems to have a thousand calories.

CD

Back
Top Bottom