New member from UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nina-gold

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I'm glad I came across your site and am glad to join all you cooks professional and otherwise. Have already read many posts with great interest.

I'm in my 50's and have always loved cooking and collecting recipes and kitchen tips. A cookbook to me is like reading a novel and I have many to choose from. I always look for unusual cook books and believe that if you get one tip or recipe you like then its worth it - there's a wealth of info and interesting ideas out there to try on family, friends etc.

Have lived in good 'old blighty' all my life.

Look forward to posting and being part of your community.

Nina :)

Welcome nina.

Just a quick question.

What is 'old blighty'? Never heard the term.

Take care and hope we hear from you a lot.

nina-gold said:
Have lived in good 'old blighty' all my life.

Look forward to posting and being part of your community.

Nina :)
I don't understand a fair bit, but I like reading it, and look forward to your future posts.

Glad you found DC, Nina! You sound exactly like a large percentage of us here. Welcome. ;)

Hi and welcome. Glad you found us. I too love to "read" cookbooks. When I go into a bookstore the first place I go, is the cookbook section. I also go to our library about once a month to see what new ones are there.:)

Thanks clueless and welcome aboard yourself.

Have been in the UK many times and never heard it called that.

Love British cooking and their take on food and we need as many Brits (and other nationalities) here as we can get.

Right now I believe you are in the new year, so have a great one.

Hope we see more of you.

Hi, Nina! Glad to have you with us. When I first read the title of your post I had an automatic reaction...the "University of Kentucky!!!" Well, that's what is the prevalent love in our state. We're dipped and dyed in blue here. So "U-K" translated into University of Kentucky. You have to understand that the religion here is basketball and UK is a very loved institution.

At any rate, happy to have you here. You will learn lots and be enveloped by many wonderful foodie friends. Come on in the food's fine!!!

Thank you

Thank you all very much for such a warm welcome and apologies to Auntdot for not replying quicker to your question about 'old blighty'. Clueless is correct, it does mean the United Kingdom and here's an explanation of its origin:

'Dear old Blighty' 'Blighty' is another nickname for Britain. In the first World War, soldiers would pray for a 'blighty'. This was a wound that would get them back to 'Blighty' for treatment. Some people say it's a corruption 0f 'beauty' but more probably it's derived from a Hindu word meaning 'stranger' and picked up by the British while ruling India.

Happy New Year to you all
Nina :0)

Back
Top Bottom