New Member Intro from Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmarlec

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone,

I'm new, so I thought I'd say hello to everyone. I'm fairly new into "real cooking" and have just gotten by over the last few years.

I look forward to "discussing cooking" with everyone.

Kind Regards,

K

Hi kmarlec. I was in Pearland 2-3 weeks ago. Met some friends for lunch there.

I've not been a part of the DC community for long and I'm learning as I go. Lots of good advice here. Welcome.

Hi kmarlec! It's always nice to see another Texan here at DC. Pearland is a cool little town. The last time I was there was many years ago helping catch a hippo that had gotten loose. Anyway, feel free to jump right in here. It's a very friendly crowd.

17.gif

Welcome to DC!!

[Fisher's Mom: A hippo?!! I take it this was in your vet days... my mind is boggling otherwise. (Well it is boggling imagining you chasing a hippo down a metropolitan street anyway!!)]

Hi Again to All!

Everyone here is so friendly! Thanks for the nice welcomes:)

Welcome to DC!!

[Fisher's Mom: A hippo?!! I take it this was in your vet days... my mind is boggling otherwise. (Well it is boggling imagining you chasing a hippo down a metropolitan street anyway!!)]
It was about 25 years ago and Pearland was a small semi-rural town then. (I haven't been there since so I'm sure it's grown a lot.) A small travelling "zoo" was passing through at night but when they stopped to feed and water the animals, apparently they didn't get the hippo's trailer latched well and it got out. They chased it for a while in the dark and then it went underneath the porch of a little wooden farm house. Hippos don't have the best disposition so they aren't easy to handle. But it's also hard to accurately and adequately tranquilize an exotic animal without overdosing them. So the Pearland police called the Houston zoo for advice and/or help. My friend was a part time vet for the elephants at the time so the call eventually got passed to him. He called me and a couple of other friends who also worked for him to see if we wanted to come along and help. The fear was that the hippo, who had already damaged the porch because it was really to big to fit under it, would break the gas lines that were right there, too. Anyway, my friend managed to get it tranquilized and then other folks were able to use a winch to drag him out. It was actually kind of comical - especially seeing the faces of the homeowners who got waked up in the middle of the night to a hippo under their house.

It was about 25 years ago and Pearland was a small semi-rural town then. (I haven't been there since so I'm sure it's grown a lot.) A small travelling "zoo" was passing through at night but when they stopped to feed and water the animals, apparently they didn't get the hippo's trailer latched well and it got out. They chased it for a while in the dark and then it went underneath the porch of a little wooden farm house. Hippos don't have the best disposition so they aren't easy to handle. But it's also hard to accurately and adequately tranquilize an exotic animal without overdosing them. So the Pearland police called the Houston zoo for advice and/or help. My friend was a part time vet for the elephants at the time so the call eventually got passed to him. He called me and a couple of other friends who also worked for him to see if we wanted to come along and help. The fear was that the hippo, who had already damaged the porch because it was really to big to fit under it, would break the gas lines that were right there, too. Anyway, my friend managed to get it tranquilized and then other folks were able to use a winch to drag him out. It was actually kind of comical - especially seeing the faces of the homeowners who got waked up in the middle of the night to a hippo under their house.
Amazing!!! You have some great tales/experiences!

Back
Top Bottom