New member looking for some good pizza dough. ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Tax lady! You say you use hard bread flour, so it is whole wheat bread flour? Where do you get this from, is it mail order? I'm confused because I know of bread flour and then whole wheat flour...
Yes, it's whole wheat bread flour. I get hard, whole grain, wheat flour at the health food store. I get soft, whole grain, wheat flour too. That's for pastry and cake. Sometimes I can find the same brands at the supermarket, but not often.

I've eaten pizza all over italy and can definitely say you might
try the simple YEASTED dough recipes by nancy silverton and
other master bread makers that have put a bit of thought into their doughs and
tested and re-tested their recipes for home cooks.
Nancy silvertons "breads"" from la brea bakery is excellent for bread or doughs of
all kinds. (PS Her desserts brought tears of joy to Julia Child's eyes, how's that for a reference?). Google her recipes.

Thanks for the recipe Douglas :)

I made this using my bread machine. I make the pizzas in my NuWave, and conventional electric oven. Delicious every time..

1 1/3 c water ( or 1c water & 1/3 c flat beer)
2 T olive oil (I use roasted vegetables in olive oil and use the leftover oil for this)
1 teas sugar
1 teas honey
1 1/4 teas salt
2 T Cornmeal (white or yellow)
3 1/2 c flour
1 teas baking powder (or 1/2 teas baking soda + 1/4 teas cream of tartar)
1/4 teas garlic powder
1/4 teas onion powder
1/2 teas Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teas yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine in order. Set to dough cycle ( 1 1/2 hrs)
Remove when cycle completed and place in a greased pie plate or round layer cake pan. Let rise 20-30 min. Split in half (or 6 for individual 6-8 in pizzas) and place in zip lock bags. Let the bags lie flat in frig. Good for 2 days.

To bake in conventional oven. stretch your dough to thickness and size preferred and add sauce. Prebake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Remove and add toppings. Bake at 400 for 20 - 30 minutes - depending on toppings and thickness.

In Nuwave, stretch to desired size and bake in nuwave pizza pan till starting to brown on hi for 8-12 min, depending on thickness. Take out of pan, turn over so browned side is down and becomes the bottom of the pizza. Spread sauce and toppings on pizza and place directly on rack. Bake on hi for about 12 minutes. Delicious.

You can use this dough for Calzones as well....Be sure to prick to allow steam to escape...

Hi everyone! I am new here and I recently started baking bread and taught myself how to make homemade pasta. I have a lot to learn, but having fun with it. Several times I have tried to make pizza and my dough was just OK. It seemed very flat, no taste even with extra salt. I have tried several different recipes, but for some reason I just can't seem to get it right. Anyone here have a good recipe they would like to share? I think I may spend quite a bit of time here, this site is great! Ty for any ideas and/or recipes!
If making a yeast dough the flavour tends to be better if you don't rise the dough too quickly. Yeast doughs need time to develop flavour and if the mix is in a very warm atmosphere it will rise without time to properly develop this, whereas putting it in a room where the ambient temp is lower (but not cold) it will take longer but it will result in a tastier dough

If you are using the sort of dried, "Fermipan" type, yeast that says you only need to rise the dough once ignore it. The resulting pizza, bread etc., will taste better if you follow the old method of kneading, rising, "knocking back", shaping and then leaving to rise again before baking you'll get a better flavoured dough.

I also use a small amount of EVOO or other oil if you prefer it. It improves the texture of pizza dough.

The best book ever written about baking bread and other yeast products is "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" written in the 1970s by the sainted Elizabeth David. As well as recipes it goes into not only techniques but why you do what you do and the history of bread and baking. Fascinating bedside reading as well as a practical cookery book. Amazon usually has it listed.

It's also a good idea to be circumspect about precise instructions in quantities in a recipe. Flour, even from the same manufacturer, can vary from batch to batch in the amount of liquid it will absorb. It depends on the growing conditions - weather, soil, climate, the mill it's ground in, breeds of wheat used, among all sorts of factors. You may need more or less than the recipe stipulates and remember that it is always easier to add extra flour to a wet dough than incorporate more liquid into a dry one.

Thanks everyone....I definitely got some good ideas, now I can't wait to try them all! Sirloin: I actually do have KA pizza dough flavor, maybe I didn't put enough. S&P: I also more or less get a feel for the dough and adjust as necessary. I didnt know that olive oil makes dough tough? Interesting. Also, what is purpose of pastry or cake flour? Makes a more tender crust? I think I will have to try that!! DJ: honey? I guess just like adding a bit of sugar...never tried that one either...and I never thought to put in baking powder along with the yeast either. Is this common or a trick of yours? And CWS: BEER??? Really? Why do you add beer, does it add more flavor and yeastiness? (Is that even a word..lol). Ty again for all your replies, this is very interesting and I am learning a lot!!
Hmm. I've been making bread since I was in my teens (and I'm 64 now) and I have never found that oil, EVOO or any other type, makes the dough tough. On the contrary, it produces a softer dough.

Pastry/cake flour is softer than bread flour (ie has less gluten in it) so it makes a more "cake-y" loaf. You can use it if necessary - the sky won't fall on you or the bread police arrest you but "strong" flour (ie flour with more gluten) makes for a better texture.

Beer is often used in sour dough and rye and some wholemeal/wholewheat breads and gives it a lovely flavour - delicious with cheeses. I'm not sure that I'd use it in pizza dough as I suspect the flavour might "fight" with the other pizza flavours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom