New member looking for some good pizza dough. ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bakercyn

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I am new here and I recently started baking bread and taught myself how to make homemade pasta. I have a lot to learn, but having fun with it. Several times I have tried to make pizza and my dough was just OK. It seemed very flat, no taste even with extra salt. I have tried several different recipes, but for some reason I just can't seem to get it right. Anyone here have a good recipe they would like to share? I think I may spend quite a bit of time here, this site is great! Ty for any ideas and/or recipes!

I add several tablespoons of whole oregano to my dough. We like the herb flavor it gives the crusts. I've also added garlic powder to the dough as well but found the oregano to be the better complement to my sauce.

May I call you BC?

I have never found a recipe for pizza dough that would work in different parts of the Country. When I mix hy dough, I try to get a feel for the dough and adjust the liquid to made a smooth dough. I let it rise for 4 hours, punch it down and let it rise for another 2 hours. The longer the dough sits, the more flavor the dough will have. Covered, you can use it the next day.
I fine this recipe works well . Start out with 1 cup of warm water , 2 tsp yeast , 1Tblsp sugar, mix well. Let it sit for 5 mins.
Pour into the mixer, add 1 cup of pastry or cake flour, mix well. At this time, lets forget about measuring. The dough needs 1 tsp of salt, don't add the salt until you mix the 1st cup of flour! Add all-propose ( I use un- bleached )Add, until the dough does not stick to the bowl, Just a little at a time. Mix for 30 minutes, Knead , and let it rise for 2 more hours afther it has been punched down at the 1st rise. Thin or thick, depending how you like it!
One more thought, I don't like to add olive oil to the dough as it will make it tough, After rolling out the dough, I add the olive oil. Season the dough, add tom sauce & cheese. Basil too.

The Best Pizza Dough Ever

I made this using my bread machine. I make the pizzas in my NuWave, and conventional electric oven. Delicious every time..

1 1/3 c water ( or 1c water & 1/3 c flat beer)
2 T olive oil (I use roasted vegetables in olive oil and use the leftover oil for this)
1 teas sugar
1 teas honey
1 1/4 teas salt
2 T Cornmeal (white or yellow)
3 1/2 c flour
1 teas baking powder (or 1/2 teas baking soda + 1/4 teas cream of tartar)
1/4 teas garlic powder
1/4 teas onion powder
1/2 teas Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teas yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine in order. Set to dough cycle ( 1 1/2 hrs)
Remove when cycle completed and place in a greased pie plate or round layer cake pan. Let rise 20-30 min. Split in half (or 6 for individual 6-8 in pizzas) and place in zip lock bags. Let the bags lie flat in frig. Good for 2 days.

To bake in conventional oven. stretch your dough to thickness and size preferred and add sauce. Prebake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Remove and add toppings. Bake at 400 for 20 - 30 minutes - depending on toppings and thickness.

In Nuwave, stretch to desired size and bake in nuwave pizza pan till starting to brown on hi for 8-12 min, depending on thickness. Take out of pan, turn over so browned side is down and becomes the bottom of the pizza. Spread sauce and toppings on pizza and place directly on rack. Bake on hi for about 12 minutes. Delicious.

You can use this dough for Calzones as well....Be sure to prick to allow steam to escape...

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I add Italian herbs, about 8 oz. of beer and EVOO to my pizza dough, and then I smear it with EVOO and some more herbs before I dress it.

Thanks everyone....I definitely got some good ideas, now I can't wait to try them all! Sirloin: I actually do have KA pizza dough flavor, maybe I didn't put enough. S&P: I also more or less get a feel for the dough and adjust as necessary. I didnt know that olive oil makes dough tough? Interesting. Also, what is purpose of pastry or cake flour? Makes a more tender crust? I think I will have to try that!! DJ: honey? I guess just like adding a bit of sugar...never tried that one either...and I never thought to put in baking powder along with the yeast either. Is this common or a trick of yours? And CWS: BEER??? Really? Why do you add beer, does it add more flavor and yeastiness? (Is that even a word..lol). Ty again for all your replies, this is very interesting and I am learning a lot!!

Thanks everyone....I definitely got some good ideas, now I can't wait to try them all! Sirloin: I actually do have KA pizza dough flavor, maybe I didn't put enough. S&P: I also more or less get a feel for the dough and adjust as necessary. I didnt know that olive oil makes dough tough? Interesting. Also, what is purpose of pastry or cake flour? Makes a more tender crust? I think I will have to try that!! DJ: honey? I guess just like adding a bit of sugar...never tried that one either...and I never thought to put in baking powder along with the yeast either. Is this common or a trick of yours? And CWS: BEER??? Really? Why do you add beer, does it add more flavor and yeastiness? (Is that even a word..lol). Ty again for all your replies, this is very interesting and I am learning a lot!!
Yup, really add beer. I don't remember why I add beer (in place of other liquid)...have been doing that for years. I haven't noticed the dough gets tough (from EVOO). I also add a pinch or so of baking soda (not all the time, but most of the time). It depends on the beer, I often use a homebrewed ale, but it adds a subtle flavor. Try it. KA has a beer-pizza dough recipe, btw.

pizza dough recipe

Quite a few of my bread recipes have honey in them. Some also have beer in them. The honey adds a different, sweet flavor to the dough, as well as making the dough tender, just like sugar. You can use it in making sweet rolls or any kind of bread. Beer also adds flavor and depending on the kind of beer, you can use less yeast. The baking powder (soda/cream of tartar) adds more lightness to the dough. There are only a few bread recipes I use both baking powder and yeast, unless it is a dense bread or roll. Hope this is is helpful.
I come from a family of 6 kids where my mom made a big batch of bread every Saturday --- all by hand. Several years ago, my kids gave me a bread machine and I'd be lost without it now. Before getting the bread machine, I did make quite a bit of bread by hand, but not as often as my mother. I think it was a subtle hint by my family to make more bread. :)

Well, I am going to try this beer thing soon. I am also going to try baking soda in a few bread recipes that I make to make them light, and to experimentsome. It's funny, because I will find a great recipe for bread and even though I love it, I conitinue to try new recipes. I know I must frustrate my husband when he thinks I made the best bread ever, and then make a New one the next time..lol. I guess its boredom. Do any of you make your own pasta as well? I recently have taught myself (YouTube is awesome) and there is nothing like having a homemade pasta! , I had no idea how good it was...or how easy it was! I never had the time before to learn this new hobby, but my back surgery and being home it has been the one good thing that has come out of it.

Well, I am going to try this beer thing soon. I am also going to try baking soda in a few bread recipes that I make to make them light, and to experimentsome. It's funny, because I will find a great recipe for bread and even though I love it, I conitinue to try new recipes. I know I must frustrate my husband when he thinks I made the best bread ever, and then make a New one the next time..lol. I guess its boredom. Do any of you make your own pasta as well? I recently have taught myself (YouTube is awesome) and there is nothing like having a homemade pasta! , I had no idea how good it was...or how easy it was! I never had the time before to learn this new hobby, but my back surgery and being home it has been the one good thing that has come out of it.

I've made a lot of pasta. My family likes whole wheat the best. A favorite around here is lasagna with home made pasta. I have an attachment on my kitchen aid stand mixer for rolling and cutting pasta. It's great! Welcome!

Hi Chopper! Funny, that is usually my screen name for some things...it is my cats name! I haven't made too much wheat pasta, but I would like to. Isn't it true that you have to use half wheat and half a/p flour or no? I just made my first lasagna with homemade pasta...WOW! I had no idea how much better it was than boxed. What a huge difference! I made a small one just for me and my husband just incase it didn't come out well before I made it for company. I do have a kitchenaid but no attachments :( I do have the marcata atlas that I used to roll the pasta out. Then I cut it with pasta cutter to make the little curls on edges like boxed lasagna. Not sure why I bothered since you didn't see anyway...lol. won't do that again. How do you like your ka attachments? It looks great! I have made ravioli which was time consuming but good. I think I like the lasagna better. This is still all new to me so I love hearing any tips! Ty for replying!

Welcome to DC! Not a dough maker here, but others have great advice.

Hi Chopper! Funny, that is usually my screen name for some things...it is my cats name! I haven't made too much wheat pasta, but I would like to. Isn't it true that you have to use half wheat and half a/p flour or no? I just made my first lasagna with homemade pasta...WOW! I had no idea how much better it was than boxed. What a huge difference! I made a small one just for me and my husband just incase it didn't come out well before I made it for company. I do have a kitchenaid but no attachments :( I do have the marcata atlas that I used to roll the pasta out. Then I cut it with pasta cutter to make the little curls on edges like boxed lasagna. Not sure why I bothered since you didn't see anyway...lol. won't do that again. How do you like your ka attachments? It looks great! I have made ravioli which was time consuming but good. I think I like the lasagna better. This is still all new to me so I love hearing any tips! Ty for replying!

LOL- you made the little curls! I have never done that. I don't even worry if they are uniform for lasagna. I just throw them in there and it is wonderful! I have made pasta with all whole wheat flour. You have to add more egg and/or water when you make pasta with all whole wheat flour, and maybe not so much flour. I don't really measure, but instead just add more egg or water if needed. Here is a good place to start.

4 large eggs, 2 tablespoons water, 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
(Just add more liquid as needed to get the right consistency)

I also keep the whole wheat dough covered until I am ready to use it.

Good luck. I like pasta best with all whole wheat flour.

I have also made it with about 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all purpose or bread flour (other ingredients the same). This is more of a light wheat bread.

Just FYI, I don't precook the pasta for lasagna...just use a little more sauce, and cook it a little longer. :yum: I wish I wasn't doing low carb! This summer when I can exercise a lot I'm going to make lasagna! Hope this helps.

And....I absolutely love my attachments for the KA!!!

Last edited:
LOL...I know, I can't believe I made the curls either...what a moron :). Thanks for the recipe...good to know I can use all wheat. I am hoping to make pasta this week and I'm definitely going to try it. I eyeball ingredients for pasta too, I think you really have to with the changes due to humidity and all that stuff. I am so glad you told me that you don't cook your lasagna noodles first. When I made it, I wasn't sure so I googled it and got all kinds of different answers. I followed one persons advice and basically dumped a few in boiling water for a few seconds and then laid each noodle on tea towels to dry before putting lasagna together. Way too much work and took the fun out of it. Again...SO glad you told me that, it'll be a lot faster now. I think they did say if you don't boil first then add a bit more sauce...is that true? One of the next things I would like to try is to make penne (I forget the correct pasta name right now) looks like it is time consuming and not sure if its worth it or not! I've only been on this site a couple days and have already learned so much...love this site!

I only ever make pasta with whole grain wheat flour. I use hard (bread) flour, what the Brits call strong flour.

I put some flour in a bowl. I add water and stir and add water until it seems the right texture. I knead it a few times with my hand. Then I let it rest for 10 - 30 minutes, so the flour is fully hydrated. Then I knead it by repeatedly rolling it through the Atlas.

I used to put egg, but I noticed that the whole grain wheat pasta I buy, which comes from Italy, only lists flour as an ingredient. I tried that and it works fine.

For lasagna I use the pasta in pieces as wide as they come out of the pasta roller and, like Chopper, I don't cook it before constructing the lasagna. Talk about lazy. :LOL:

Hi Tax lady! You say you use hard bread flour, so it is whole wheat bread flour? Where do you get this from, is it mail order? I'm confused because I know of bread flour and then whole wheat flour...

Back
Top Bottom