New Mexico Gal, Here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarbieDawl

Assistant Cook
Hello, my name is Deyshia, I live in New Mexico. I am sort of a experimental cook. I love to cook with green chili. If you dont't know about green chili, you should. I am not sure how fast this forum is, but I am looking forward to hearing and tasting everyones ideas. :chef:

Hey, Barbie, welcome to DC :) I love chiles and am always looking for new recipes. By green chili, do you mean jalapenos, or something else? My DH and I grew tomatillos for the first time this year - they were a spectacular success. I have lots of green salsa in the freezer for making pork chile verde this winter. Looking forward to your contributions.

Welcome!!!
I grew up in New Mexico! All my family still lives there, so we go bak regularly. My mom just came up to visit for a few days and brought me some green chile. yum! Are they still out roasting?
Where do you live? We have another member, jpmcgrew, she lives in Raton.

Whoohoo! I'm so excited to have another New Mexican on the forum!

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. To the jalapeno question; green chili is very different from jalapenos. I am sure the other NM ppl would agree. It is one of the most wonderful flaovors in the world. Now that it is October, the streets are filled with the sweet aroma of Hatch Green Chili. :lickslips:

:)Welcome Barbie, Im in New Mexico to and Corazon is from New Mexico also.Its hard to explain the green chile thing because most people cant even get any and if they do its most likely the canned stuff.Green chili is so unique to New Mexico unless you have been here it kinda hard to understand.I live by Raton if you like PM me and let me know where you live.

:)
Thanks for the welcomes, guys. To the jalapeno question; green chili is very different from jalapenos. I am sure the other NM ppl would agree. It is one of the most wonderful flaovors in the world. Now that it is October, the streets are filled with the sweet aroma of Hatch Green Chili. :lickslips:
:)Aint that the truth I just bought 3 large burlap bags of the medium heat and of course had them roasted on the spot.The smell of green chile roasting is the best.

:)Welcome Barbie, Im in New Mexico to and Corazon is from New Mexico also.Its hard to explain the green chile thing because most people cant even get any and if they do its most likely the canned stuff.Green chili is so unique to New Mexico unless you have been here it kinda hard to understand.I live by Raton if you like PM me and let me know where you live.

Hi. Is it the New Mexico green chile on this page? Fresh Chile Peppers. Amazingly enough, I think that's one of the peppers we grew in our garden in Virginia this past summer :) I'll post a photo later when I get home. What do you like to do with it?

Hi. Is it the New Mexico green chile on this page? Fresh Chile Peppers. Amazingly enough, I think that's one of the peppers we grew in our garden in Virginia this past summer :) I'll post a photo later when I get home. What do you like to do with it?

Google HATCH CHILE and you will find everything you need to know what carazon, jpmcgrew and barbiedawl are talking about.

If you ever eat in a restaurant in New Mexico, and a waitress asks you if you want green or red sauce on anything, be aware that, unique to New Mexico, green sauce is hotter than red.

Hi. Is it the New Mexico green chile on this page? . Amazingly enough, I think that's one of the peppers we grew in our garden in Virginia this past summer :) I'll post a photo later when I get home. What do you like to do with it?

I will tell you what, do you like soup? Cream of chicken soup? Put some green chili in it. I have a personal recipe if you would like to have it. I believe the term for green chili is "long Jim" in growing it. I am not sure how it would work, but I just bought 35 lbs of green chili at the Farmers Market here in Albuquerque, peeled it and froze most of it (gave the rest to the homeless shelter). If you would like, I can mail you some. But like I said, I am not sure how it will work.

BarbieDawl - good to have you with your information and enthusiasm. Why not share your recipe with this thread if you have time and also in the soups section.

That is awesome! I am glad someone outside of NM can feel a passionate about green chili, and actually use it in everyday cooking, as I am. :bow:

Google HATCH CHILE and you will find everything you need to know what carazon, jpmcgrew and barbiedawl are talking about.

If you ever eat in a restaurant in New Mexico, and a waitress asks you if you want green or red sauce on anything, be aware that, unique to New Mexico, green sauce is hotter than red.
:)Both red and green chile can be either mild,medium,hot or extra hot most restuarants will usually have either mild or medium.If you order something like enchiladas or smothered burritos and you want both you tell the waitress I want christmas which means 1/2 green and 1/2 red.My favorite way to order.

That is awesome! I am glad someone outside of NM can feel a passionate about green chili, and actually use it in everyday cooking, as I am. :bow:
:)Colorado is also into green chile especially southern colorado.Pueblo,Co grows alot of green chile as its really hot there in the summer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom