"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
new new new

Hi, my name's Ian. I'm 18 and a complete novice at cooking. I figured cooking forums would be the best way to learn so I registered to like 5 different ones and am copying and pasting the same message. Right off, I was wondering if anyone knew of some books or other resources good for beginners. I need the how-to-hold-a-knife kind of help. That basic. Please, anyone feel free to give me any form of advice they feel would benefit me, such as recommended projects, info on what does what and why, different tools... Believe me, there's is no possible way you can give me too much information, I love coming back and finding new things for me. I'm all about being unbiased and taking in the vastness of the world, hence the 5 different forums (trying to get a variety of advice and opinions). But I gotta tell you, I love to ask questions, so you've been warned. O yeah, about the questions, people sometimes misunderstand my questioning with rudeness. I have to honestly say it is a complete misunderstanding because it's pure curiosity and I never mean to offend anyone. I'm all about learning and not being right. I'm not afraid to be wrong, hence all the questions, or something like that, i dunno, im rambling. thanks to anyone who's gona help me!

rawcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Hi Ian! Welcome to our community.

MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Welcome aboard, Ian!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:34 AM   #4
Master Chef
Welcome to the DC family, Ian!

You are not the first cooking novice to join us with a lot of "where do I start" questions very similar to yours. You might want to spend a little time looking through our "Cookware and Accessories Forum" ... you'll probably find a lot of your questions have already been answered there.

We have a full range of experiences here - from the novice, to the seasoned home cook, to professionals.

Take a little time to look around - and enjoy your experience here!

Michael in FtW
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:35 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer
Welcome Ian. You came to the right place to learn and ask questions. Like Michael mentioned, look through the forums a bit and you will find a ton of info that will help you.

Ask us specific questions and we will give you specific answers. aqsk as many questions as you like. That is what we are here for.

Check out some of the cooking shows on TV. Some of them give a lot of helpful info for the begining cook.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
Head Chef
Talking Rawcook Happy Birthday

Welcome to DC the very special cooking site where you will find great cooks and chefs and they will have answers for all of your cooking needs.

Again Happy Birthday.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Master Chef
Welcome Ian, this is a great forum, I know you will enjoy it.
Don't let yesterday take up too much of today. Will
JoAnn L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Bienvenue, rawcook. Michael and GB (geebs) are two of our most respected members around here, so take their advice to heart. Andy M. (welcome aboard!) is also a treasure trove of good information. As are many others ( I omit naming names because I don't want to leave anyone out except for the ones who responded already to our tender beginner here).

Just start reading whereever your interest lies and I garantee you will find answers to just about every question you have, and even those you didn't know you wanted to ask.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Senior Cook
Two books I would recommend:

Becoming A Chef - Andrew Donenburg, Karen Page
Professional Chef - Culinary Institute of America

good luck!

Seven S is offline   Reply With Quote

« Freddi | Hi »