New to forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mi77915

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I am new here to this forum and would like to introduce myself. My name is Tom and I am a single father of (2) wonderful teenagers. I have really never cooked much before, but now I have been bitten by the "bug" to start cooking and baking more. I have no equipment (electronic - mixers for baking.....). I would like to know if there are any good cook books out here that are geared to the beginner. My interests are mainly cooking small meal for me and my kids that are not too involved, somewhat simple. Also, I would love to learn how to bake like my mom used too.
It sounds like I might be asking for a lot, but I just want to start being more involved with cooking and baking.
Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi welcome!
I'm no help with the baking but other will be around in a few hours who will guide you!

Welcome Tom!

I saw these two books on the shelves at my local bookstore the other day. Would be ideal for you methinks:

Amazon.com: Cook with Jamie: My Guide to Making You a Better Cook: Jamie Oliver: Books

Amazon.com: Jamie's Dinners: The Essential Family Cookbook: Jamie Oliver: Books

Most books are geared for non-professionals. The thicker books can be more advanced, since it's a chance for famous chefs to stretch their legs in my opinion.

If you want a book with information about cooking techniques and basic prep try this. I have this book myself and would recommend it:

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Essen...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228996661&sr=1-1

As for baking, are you talking about breads or sweets? If you're talking about breads I would recommend these two books:

Amazon.com: Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth Into (With DVD): Richard Bertinet: Books

Amazon.com: Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads: Richard Bertinet: Books

I have Crust: Bread to Get Your Teeth Into, and it's a good informative read. I would recommend getting Dough first though, since it seems to me like Crust is more advanced.

Good luck and enjoy your stay :D

Hi Tom, Welcome.

I like the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. The one with the red plaid cover, ring binder and divided into sections. It will tell you how to hard boil an egg, bake a potato.... simple stuff until you get your times and temps down, plus all kinds of recipes on all kinds of foods. Any recipe that I have followed has come out perfect. You can Google all that info, too, but sometimes it's nice to have it at your fingertips in book form, and I recommend this book.

Hi, welcome!!
Really all you need to do is just pick up any cook book and browse around sites like this and skim through recipes that catch your interest! If you flop with a recipe or two, thats all part of learning. As well as of course you will always have plenty of friends here to ask questions!!

Good luck and have FUN!!! :)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!! I have a lot to learn but it looks like I have plenty here from your replies to start with!!

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi Tom & welcome!! I'm pretty new here too and I love it!
Try this for dinner sometime, it's easy and good....

2 chicken breasts (either plain or I like to use mesquite flavored) diced into bite-sized pieces
2 boxes of cheesy rice (with or without broccoli, whichever you like)

Brown diced chicken in a frying pan with 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil and 1 Tbsp of butter until nicely browned. Make the rice according to the instructions on the box in the same pan with the chicken and you're done! Add a green salad and dinner is done in 20 minutes! :eek:)

The Tatste of Home Cook Book. Is full of home style recipes like mom made
Another cook book I recomend is the New Joy of Cooking is a pretty basic guide to home style cooking. watch this site for all kinds of good information on basic cooking
At your new stand pick up Taste of Home magazine, Cooking for Two. magazine

Hi, Tom!

Welcome to DC. You'll find lots of help here. Just ask and ask and ask.

As for cookbooks, I'd recommend the New Taste of Home Cookbook see here.

I reviewed it just before it came out and I think it's one of the most comprehensive "basic" cookbooks on the market. Has great explanations and wonderful photographs. A super "tool" for those who wish to learn or are novice cooks.

Stick with Discuss Cooking and you'll learn more than you knew to ask and gain a new family, too.

We're glad you've found us.

Back
Top Bottom