"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
New to forums and excited to try new recipes

I'm new to discussion forums but definitely not new to cooking. I love cooking for a big crowd but do my best for a few thankful people. I live with my boyfriend in a one bedroom apartment with a simple kitchen. I've never had the pleasure and opportunity to cook in a well equipped kitchen, but I am happy and do well with what I do have.

I love trying new recipes, it's hard to get my boyfriend to try new things because he is one of those simple "hamburger is just fine" meal eater. Although, the last few recipes I have tried he has LOVED. So, it is getting easier and easier.

I'm a secretary at a new charter school about 30 minutes away from home. It allows me to think about and plan out menus and meals for us. I am interested in budget friendly meals and changing our not so healthy eating habits.

izzybaby342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Welcome to D.C.!

I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Head Chef
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, and welcome to DC My husband sometimes says similar things, because cooking isn't his favorite thing, so he thinks of it as a chore. But for me, it's fun, so I just ignore him and make yummy food and he loves it

Here's a tip for budget-friendly meals: (Almost ) every weekend, I make a meal plan for the upcoming week. I start by looking in the fridge, freezer and pantry to see what I have, look through recipes I've put by that I want to try, and look through the grocery store sale papers to see what's on sale. Then I choose what to make for dinner, and make up my grocery list, based on what I find. I sometimes don't go by the plan, but in general, it helps me use up what's in the fridge and freezer, and avoid buying items I already have. Hope this helps.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Sous Chef
My husband likes the simple things too and that's a great asset when a couple is working two jobs each or working full time and also going to school. He was and still is keenly aware of the rule that came with his bride .... "You don't like what's on the table for supper? Sorry, Baby, supper's over". I've never gone out of my way to prepare dishes with ingredients he does not like..... especially raw onions.... but there's no making myself nuts in preparing only his favorites.
If most of the ingredients are on his "edible list" and time and energy allows, I say, do what works for you.
Oldvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
Master Chef
Welcome from another Californian, Izzybaby!

Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote