New with a Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashley

Assistant Cook
I'm new here, and extremely excited about exploring the forum. I've just started to get into cooking and don't have a lot of time to put towards it at the moment so I take it lil' by lil' trying to learn new stuff whenever I can. I'm 20 live with my bf and puppy, working full time, doing a lil school and just got a second job. Which leads me to my question. What would be something simple and easy and semi healthy that I can eat inbetween my jobs. I really don't want to be hitting fast food up every afternoon I have to work. I don't have the money nore do I want the weight. Tues I had a lunchable but thats not good for me either! So any suggestions would be lovely! Thanks in advance! :mrgreen:

Hi, Ashley. Welcome to Discuss Cooking. You'll like it here!

How much time do you have between jobs? Do you go home between jobs or are you eating on the run from job #1 to job #2? Do you have access to a microwave?

I already do!

I have an hour between my jobs but I haven't felt comfortable to run home yet since its across town and during evening traffic. In a couple weeks I may be stopping by home. There's a microwave here and there that I could heat something up in and either eat on my way or sit in the back there depending on the time.

Welcome Ashley. We are so happy you found us :)

My first though is something like a wrap with hummus and tabooli and veggies. It is healthy, inexpensive, delicious, and very transportable. Fruit is also a great thing for when you don't have a lot of time and need to get something in your belly.

I find this works for me.

I cook up a big batch of some dishes, freeze them in meal-sized portions and take one for lunch when I'm working. Since it's frozen, it doesn't need refrigeration and it'll be partially thawed when you nuke it for a quick meal.

Here are some of the things I do this with:

All kinds of soups
Chili
Stews
Casseroles
Shepherd's pie
American Chop Suey
Meat loaf (for a sandwich)

Leftovers from just about any meal would work for this as well. You make a little extra and there's lunch for tomorrow.

Of course, cold cuts for sandwiches. If you use cold cuts like turkey, ham or roast beef instead of boloney ot salami, etc, it's fairly healthy and pretty low in calories.

welcome ashley.

i eat a lot of leftovers at work, using the microwave. whenever i make something for dinner at home, i cook as if i'm making it for 4 people, so that i can freeze some and bring it in to work later on.
try making a garden veggie sugo (tomato sauce) for a base, then you could add everything from meatballs, to pork rib ends, to browned fennel sausage, to just about any plainly cooked meat that was leftover from grilling. one of my favorites that my mom used to do was make chicken cacciatore from leftover tomato sauce, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and leftover grilled chicken parts. simmer the chicken in the sauce until it easily seperates from the bone.
many soups and stews are good to freeze and nuke at work.

HELLO ASHLEY,
I agree with my Brothers here, Do you own a CrockPot ? You can make a ton of things in a Crockpot that could be Microwaved later and Heathly Too !
May I also take this time to Welcome You Here, We are so Glad you Choose us.

Andy M. said:
I find this works for me.

I cook up a big batch of some dishes, freeze them in meal-sized portions and take one for lunch when I'm working. Since it's frozen, it doesn't need refrigeration and it'll be partially thawed when you nuke it for a quick meal.

Here are some of the things I do this with:

All kinds of soups
Chili
Stews
Casseroles
Shepherd's pie
American Chop Suey
Meat loaf (for a sandwich)

Leftovers from just about any meal would work for this as well. You make a little extra and there's lunch for tomorrow.

Of course, cold cuts for sandwiches. If you use cold cuts like turkey, ham or roast beef instead of boloney ot salami, etc, it's fairly healthy and pretty low in calories.

Ditto what Andy said. If you want to be healthy, substitute ground turkey, veal, pork, or chicken for your chili and meat loaf, or use 90% lean ground beef. Find recipes for braised/stewed chicken which you can incorporate boneless & skinless breasts or thighs. Most of the mediterranean countries have several types of dishes like that. Invest in a lot Ziploc plastic containers which are easy to stack, label, and organize.

Welcome, Ashley! You'll get lots of great ideas here!! You are a busy girl...
glad you joined us! :)

Welcome Aboard

Glad to have you here...[another newbie... LOL] The folks here have been great. You'll enjoy the experience.

Your lifestyle will dictate a lot of what you can do. If you don't have time to cook meals then "leftovers" are out of the question. As much as I love to cook I often find myself faced with the question of "What's for lunch?".

I do my fair share of Lean Quisene and Budget Gourmet micronukes. And whenever I can I bring leftovers. But your case is different.

One thing I do a lot is the "Chunky Soup" diet. One can of that is two meals. And it's reasonably healthy.

Back
Top Bottom