Newbee here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegrindre

Assistant Cook
Hi all,
Been looking for a good cooking and baking forum to post in so I'll give these a try. I like what I've seen so far. :)

I've just turned 70 last December and am retired, finely. :)

I have no family anymore and really don't socialize very much. I'm mostly full of questions so I hope this doesn't bother anybody.
I'm originally from Los Angeles, born and raised, but am now living in central Arkansas. (Man, what a cultural change!) Been here over 30 years now and still haven't gotten used to it. :LOL:

Anyway, Chinese and Mexican dishes are what this white Caucasian boy loves to eat all the time. :yum: In that order, BTW. :) Pork and chicken and fish are my favorites.
Never did like cow. :yuk:

Sooo, what's cookin?

:chef:

Hi Rick, and welcome. Sounds like your love for Mexican food started in Los Angeles.

I love it too,(Mexican food, not LA), and have been up in Ventura County all my long life.
A good place to check out is the nightly dinner thread where you can see what's actually cooking (or not).

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Welcome.

I've done a lot a lot of "spirited" driving tours in Arkansas. Some really great roads there. But, I have never figured out why all the rural road signs have bullet holes in them. :huh::LOL:

My motorhead friends and I usually use Hot Springs as our "basecamp." We like to stay at the old Arlington Hotel there.

CD

Welcome to DC! I love Mexican and Cuban food. Chinese is also in the mix, but I prefer Thai and Korean first.

My son just came home from Leeds last night..his fiance is from Wakefield..are you close?
By the standards of your country I suppose you'd say yes. 1 hour and 13 min (39.1 mi) via the shortest route from Marple (where I live) to Wakefield. Certainly near enough to drop in for tea:) and Wakefield to Leeds is about 8 miles further as the crow flies. It's a nice drive if you avoid the motorway as I'm sure your son has told you.

I hate to have to break it to you but your son will never be able to play cricket for Yorkshire - You have to be born in Yorkshire to do that. (Ethnicity isn't important, it's where your mother was at the time of the birth. Ex-pat Yorkshire men have been known to bring their wives thousands of miles so that their expected son could qualify!) :LOL:

If I ever get rid of the storage boxes piled up in the sitting room and actually get a floor in the dining room, to say nothing of the ladders, cans of paint and rolls wallpaper, tool boxes, etc., that I seem to have been falling over for half a century, your son and his "intended" will be very welcome to come to lunch or tea if they are on this side of the Pennines.

My goodness! What a welcome! I belong to numerous forums of all sorts and have never received a welcome as big as this before. :ohmy:

Hi to all of you. :clap: And, thanks.

I'm looking for Chinese deserts. What do the Asians eat after dinner? Is there a thread here?

Frozen custards with flavors like almond, like mango and coconut are nice, traditional and refreshing. I recently tried making a "jiggly cake" recipe - which is something I've seen in night markets in Taipei. Not a fan - lots of work and not much flavor.

My favorite dessert to serve with Asian food in the USA is Mango Ice cream (you an buy this) with homemade molasses ginger cookies.

Like these: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/chewy-ginger-molasses-cookies/

Oh, I'm surely going to try this recipe. :yum: Thanks, Janet.

Just remembered that your basic almond cookie is also a favorite. :)
Also the basic fortune cookie is popular too. :)
Anyone out there have a really good almond cookie recipe?
(Mine never comes out very well. :( )

:chef:

Back
Top Bottom