Newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ginny1 said:
Hi, new to the forum! Love to cook! trying to learn to bake... not so easy at high altitude!

Welcome. Cooking and baking at high altitude is just something to get used to. I have been doing it for about 33years since I moved to the Colorado Springs area. Right now I live at approximate. 7000 feet above sea level, and I love cooking and baking. It doesn't slow me down a bit. If you have questions just ask. I will try to help when I can. :)

Hi all!

Chopper-
I've been trying various french bread recipes... while it's coming out prettier... it's not super tasty. It's soooo dense! I want a fluffy, yet crusty on the outside loaf..

This is a French bread I use.

French Bread
1 1/4 cups warm water
(add more water, by tablespoons, until bread dough is moist)
1 packet active dry yeast
(less 25%, if you're at high altitudes of 5,000 feet or more.)
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon shortening, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups flour
* Rising time: approximately 1 hour. 400 degree oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Brush loaf with beaten egg for a crispier crust.

I have found that Rapid Rise yeast is not the best idea at high altitude. Also, add a little more water if the bread is too dry. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Ginny1 said:
Yeah, the cooking isn't so bad. The boiling point is lower.. It's baking that gets tricky!

Just keep trying. It really does get easier. Angel food cake is tricky. Wait for awhile before trying that one.

Back
Top Bottom