Newbie cook ^_^

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saifena

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone :) My name is Pam and I'm 23.....I'm pretty much new to cooking, only cooked a few things so I don't feel super good about it lol. I actually need help this morning.....making sausage and gravy and I kinda forgot to double the recipe and was wondering, if I already finished it and I wanted to double it afterwards, can I just add more milk or do I have to add flour also. I started with 1 cup flour and 3 cups half and half. Hopefully I didn't screw it up too bad because I can't start over :(

What Snip said, or you can make a beurre manie where you basically use a fork to mash flour into softened room-temp butter until it's evenly mixed in, then whisk that into the boiling gravy. Add the milk to make the double batch, bring it to a simmer and whisk in the beurre manie, then let it boil for a few minutes to cook out some of the floury taste from the raw flour. Alternately, you can cook another roux (butter + flour) and add the cooked roux to the double batch instead of the beurre manie.
Just don't try adding straight up flour to liquids or it'll clump.
I don't usually make white gravies but 1 cup flour to 3 cups liquid seems like an awful lot of flour. I usually use a few tablespoons for sauces like that on the occasion I do make them and it turns out good.

Last edited:
If you are going to make a 'beurre manie' make sure to refrigerate the flour/butter mixture to cool it before whisking it into the warm milk. You'll get a nice velvety sauce that way.

Thanks for the ideas :) I actually just added 3 more cups of milk and it turned out perfect. I had followed someone else's recipe the first time I made this but I couldn't find it this time. But I couldn't find it so I was trying to do it from memory lol. So yea that was alot of flour for 3 cups of liquid lol. Overall I didn't have to make another batch (thank God because I only had enough to do one), I just added more milk and it was good :)

Sausage and gravy. There's something I've never tried. I always eat my sausages hot dog style. Just a bun and maybe some ketchup.

Welcome to DC.

Sausage and gravy. There's something I've never tried. I always eat my sausages hot dog style. Just a bun and maybe some ketchup.

Welcome to DC.

It's a milk gravy made with the sausage drippings and, in the South, it *must* be on a biscuit. Very delicious :yum:

Last edited:
Ohhhh that white sauce.... oof, I don't know now... Whenever I have gone down to the US, I have tried to find a place that will make me a real poutine. But no place ever has the beef gravy, or the cheese curds. It was always shredded cheese and this "white sauce."

Back
Top Bottom