"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

made the cookies.....

they came out very flat. That was the 1st sheet. The 2nd just about spread all over the cookie sheet. I took the rest of the dough & mixed some flour, bkg. pdr & 1 egg white. They are in the oven right now. I don't get it!!!!
I think I'm done with trying to make them. Soooooo aggravating!!
Clara
I'll let you know how the last sheet came out

Old 12-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

last sheet of cookies

actually the last 2 sheets. Well these came out a little better, but still about the thickness of a chocolate chip cookie. I took them out when the bottoms were light golden. They taste good, but look nothing like the picture in my first post.
I'm not going to try them again right now, but when I do, I'm going to add the baking powder & some flour & maybe another egg white. Now let me ask something. What would be the difference between beating the egg whites till stiff, not dry & folding in or just beating till frothy & pouring in while mixing?

Clara

Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to say welcome to DC, where we share your failures as well as your successes. You're in good company here.

Your problems are the kind that stopped me from making cookies. Too many failures. I can get a big batch of perfect oatmeal cookies from Walmart for $1. I don't need stress.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I know what you mean! I should just get a pkg of oreos & dip them in melted white chocolate & add sprinkles!!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hello Clara!

Welcome to DC. It's been a couple of years, but I used to do marathon cookie baking, too. I don't eat cookies, but there are plenty of fathomless pits at work who will eat anything!

Have fun!
Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Your problems are the kind that stopped me from making cookies. Too many failures. I can get a big batch of perfect oatmeal cookies from Walmart for $1. I don't need stress.
It took a good decade of baking failures to realize why I am not a good baker: You need to measure. I *never* measure when I cook. Estimate, yes. Measure, no. I've decided that bakers are "kitchen chemists." As a science major, chemistry was my least favorite because....I had to measure.

~Kathleen
Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
It took a good decade of baking failures to realize why I am not a good baker: You need to measure. I *never* measure when I cook. Estimate, yes. Measure, no. I've decided that bakers are "kitchen chemists." As a science major, chemistry was my least favorite because....I had to measure.

~Kathleen
My ongoing problem was substitutions. That doesn't work either. Nor does forgetting the sugar in one batch. Yeech.
I was only getting about 50% good when I decided to quit.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #18
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
My ongoing problem was substitutions. That doesn't work either. Nor does forgetting the sugar in one batch. Yeech.
I was only getting about 50% good when I decided to quit.
LOL...yes, forgetting sugar is sometimes unforgivable. When I was in junior high, my math teacher politely declined a biscuit made by a classmate and me by saying he was on a diet. My classmate Candy replied, "No problem, we forgot the sugar and the salt." The biscuit looked and felt like a hockey puck.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
LOL...yes, forgetting sugar is sometimes unforgivable. When I was in junior high, my math teacher politely declined a biscuit made by a classmate and me by saying he was on a diet. My classmate Candy replied, "No problem, we forgot the sugar and the salt." The biscuit looked and felt like a hockey puck.
Shrek worked with a baker who mixed up the sugar and salt measurements in a 200 pound batch of bun dough, once. There was absolutely no way to save it.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I keep forgetting the cookies (and granola) in the oven and burn them. We solved the problem. I mix up the cookies or granola and stick it in the oven. Then my DH takes over. He has way more patience than I do.