"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Newbie in Cooking

Hi,

I'm new here in this forum. The reason I joint here is because I've been baking bread and cakes and I have the following problems.

1. My bread is burned after following the instruction but the inside is not fully cooked.

2. My banana cake is cooked outside but a bit wet inside. I've used a tookpick to check and it came out clean.

The only thing that works fine is my choc cookies. Any anyone can advice?

Tks a million.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm not much for baking but I would say try using an oven thermometer to make sure your oven temp is acurate would be one thing to try. Also, if you have a link to the recipes you are using that don't turn out, or can post them on here without breaking copyright laws others would find that useful in helping you.

Welcome to DC.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

thanks for the advice. I can't get a oven temp but got a digital temp reader. Now i'm baking with reduced temp from 180 to 160 but increase baking time. I've check the temp of the cake after baking for 50 min. I stop baking after the temp reaches 208. The cake taste great. Will report back after baking my bread.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to DC, nice to have you onboard!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Cook

Welcome to DC :)
Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome. It's entirely possible that your oven temperature is not what it says on the dial. That's pretty common. It sounds like you're on the right track. Note that, with some bread recipes, it's appropriate to "tent" the top of the bread with foil for part of the time to keep it from over browning. Also, conditions vary within your oven. Top to bottom, front to back, and sometimes side to side. Sometimes, a cookie sheet is used under a cake of bread pan, or a loaf is baked on a large pan. If the pan blocks a lot of the oven space on that level, it disrupts the design. You may have seen this if you put two sheets of cookies in, one above the other, and see a difference in cooking time between the two. So when you get an oven thermometer, check it all over the oven.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

GLC,
thanks for the info. I've tried the bread but it tends to dry out after 2 days and the crust is hard as a rock. Any idea why? The recepie is 3 cups of bread flour, 1/4 tsp of yeast , 1& 1/4 tsp salt , 1 & 1/2 cup water. Mix and let it rise for 18 hrs and goes for baking. Hope you could help.
tq.

Thanks for all the welcome messages.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

It really sounds like you are having temp issues with your oven, buy an oven thermometer and set the temp to 350 let the thermometer sit inside for 20 min then check to see if it reads 350. also instead of using a toothpick, use a wooden skewer so that it reaches all the way to the bottom of the cake. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowkl View Post
GLC,
thanks for the info. I've tried the bread but it tends to dry out after 2 days and the crust is hard as a rock. Any idea why? The recepie is 3 cups of bread flour, 1/4 tsp of yeast , 1& 1/4 tsp salt , 1 & 1/2 cup water. Mix and let it rise for 18 hrs and goes for baking. Hope you could help.
tq.

Thanks for all the welcome messages.
This is normal with homemade bread; it doesn't have the additives store-bought bread has that keep it soft. If you put the bread in a 350F oven for 10 minutes, it will soften but the crust will be crisp.

And welcome to DC
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Cook

hello kowkl and welcome to DC

Tags
cooking, newbie