"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Newbie in the house.

Hello all.

I am new to this or any other forum. I am almost 60 years old and live in the South. I posted a recipe In the rice, pasta, and bean area. I am a Native American female with Fibromyalgia and osteoporosis along with various other algias and arthritis's. Most of the time I stay home, but I get out to grocery shop and every now and then go browsing around to estate sales as well as thrift stores. I also like to crochet and knit when my hands allow it. I welcome your questions and will be posting in your forum from time to time.

If I happen to do anything wrong please let me know and I will correct it immediately.

Thank you all for your time.

Old 12-17-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
Head Chef

I used to frequent thrift stores back in the day when a painting that fetched $100K years later got thru the backroom thrift store ladies who were probably looking for goodies before setting them out on the shelf for sale.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Hi, Oldtimerjax. Welcome to DC. I'm a homebody that likes to crochet too.

Yesterday, I made a can coolie using a pretty ombre yarn. It ended up having a really nice pattern.

What are you working on now?

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Wine Guy

Welcome to DC, Oldtimerjax!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!
Old 12-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! I love to knit but have to limit my knitting (getting old is a b*tch). I love hitting thrift stores, estate sales, auctions, and yard sales. You never know what treasures you will find.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Hi, Oldtimerjax. Welcome to DC. I'm a homebody that likes to crochet too.

Yesterday, I made a can coolie using a pretty ombre yarn. It ended up having a really nice pattern.

What are you working on now?
I do quick stuff now cause my wrist and hand hurt more in the winter. I did a pair of gloves out of the fingerless gloves pattern I got off of allfreecrochet site. there is an allfreeknitting site as well and an allfreesewing site too. I made each finger and then put them on the fingerless gloves. They look great. I also lined them with a piece for old felt blanket I stole from the dog, (after I washed it of course).
I make headbands crochet and knit, scarves, crochet and knit, hats, crochet and knit, doilies, crochet, and granny squares.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Welcome to DC! I love to knit but have to limit my knitting (getting old is a b*tch). I love hitting thrift stores, estate sales, auctions, and yard sales. You never know what treasures you will find.
I used to find some neat stuff, but now days one has to watch the papers and get there super early. Around here the wholesalers hit the streets early and if it is an estate sale, they sometimes buy out the whole thing and when it says it opens at 9:00, you get there and the whole thing is shut up tight. That means the wholesaler has gone through and bought up everything. There are a few stores around here who have that stuff in their stores. I try and let things sit for a while and then make them an offer. If it is something I really have to have, I will try and lower the price, but it has to be something I really want because over the years I have become short on space. I watch those shows about hoarders and then look around my house. Yes I have room to walk, no my husband has not left me yet, and there are not piles of stuff around. I am good. I have to mentally go through the house to see if I have room for it.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. My grandfather was an Eastern Native American From Maine. I never understood why, but my father was always ashamed of it. Whereas his sisters told me many stories about that side of the family. Stories I loved to hear. Today, I find that folks are curious about how Native Americans live today. Sorry, I can't help them there. The only thing I have ever done that could even be remotely considered Native American is use my electric can opener for a can of corn.

DC is a fun place to be. Lots of laughs. Lots of great recipes. Lots of sharing.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #10
Head Chef

Welcome to Dc.Looking forward to getting to know
you,I think we might be fairly close to each other.

Josie

Tags