"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Nice Site!

Hey guys. I ran across this site the other day searching in Google. My search was, "brown spots on beef". I know a lot about cooking and have been cooking 75% of my life (27 yrs old) but everyday you learn something new. I am serious when it comes to fresh ingredients and that is all I try and use. Well the other day I bought a beautiful looking Chuck Roast from Kroger. Normally I don't buy my meat from there, but this looked so good, I figured what the ****. Well two days later when I go to cook it, it developed ugly looking grey spots all over it. I have had meat in the past do that and normally I just threw it away. But I never really looked into it. So when I typed it into google this website came up. It said it was just spots from lack of oxygen. So I kept the beef this time and cooked it. Turned out fine.

But the main thing I learned out of this was this forum. I love message boards. I haven't found a lot that discuss cooking so to me this place is gold. I am going to have a good time here. I hope to learn a lot and teach a lot. One thing about cooking is you never stop learning. I have never went to school for cooking but learned everything I know from trial and error (the best teacher), cookbooks, and foodnetwork. I have been cooking since 7 years old. My mom and dad got divorced when I was 15 and my father did not know how to cook. He owned a business so he was busy with that. I had to pick up my moms job. At first I was awful, but so learned what worked and what didn't. Even when I would mess up or something would turn out awful I still loved doing it.

My mom and dad always encouraged me to be a chef when I finished high school. I didn't want to do this as a job. To me cooking is fun. It's one thing to slave in your kitchen for a couple of hours cooking for you family and friends. To me a form of showing your love. It's a complete different thing to bust your *** in a high pressure kitchen 10-12 hours a day trying to make a living. So I do it for fun, lol.

Instead of becoming a chef I got into the car business at a young age and now own my own carlot. I was 20 when I got into cars. I am 27 now. Cooking is my enjoyment. Cars support my living and cooking, hehe.

Well thats my introduction. I look forward to meeting people on here from all walks of life, ages, sexes, and races. Doesn't matter to me. I am a people's person. I am here to learn and to help those who need help. Hope you guys will enjoy my company. Don't be afraid or shy to say hello.

jasonj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Hospitality Queen
Wow! You are quite wise for your age, Jason! I'm sure you'll have so much to add to this spice-rack we call home!

It is really nice to have you here.
PS - whereabouts are you from?

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Hello from Belgium. I don't speak very english but I understand it good
Sabrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:37 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
jKath: Thank you, I am glad to be here. I have been browsing quite a bit since I posted this post and I am already learning so much. You can never learn to much when it comes to cooking. Soak up everything, and that I am doing.

I live in Augusta, Ga.

Sabrine: Hello. How are you? What is going on in Belgium? I bet you guys have some good food, huh?
Old 07-18-2006, 02:46 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Aloha Jason and welcome.
wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 03:01 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by wasabi
Aloha Jason and welcome.
Whats happening Wasabi? How is Hawaii? I bet the food is out of this world. My grandfather went to Hawaii once and had the time of his life. Do you remember Magnum P.I.? I think the show was filmed in Hawaii. He always drove a red ferrai in the show. That was my grandfathers favorite show and when he went in the early 80's he went to the site of the studio and took pictures of himself with the Magnum P.I. car. It was his dream come true. He loved Hawaii. He must have taken 100 pictures during his vacation and it was the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Always wanted to go.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:19 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
Welcome to the site! We are very glad you joined us.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #8
Head Chef
Welcome Jason to DC. Don't know about the spots on the meat you purchased but I'm sure someone here can help you.
thumpershere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Welcome, Jason,

I can hear the excitement in your 'voice' (typing). This is a wonderful site that I'm trying to navigate around since I'm new, too. I'm just south of Atlanta and my dogs won't even go outside because of the heat.
Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Half Baked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
Head Chef
Welcome to the site. Where in the "spice-rack" are you located?

vagriller is offline   Reply With Quote