Nice to meet you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickeeCoco

Senior Cook
Well, I've lurked here for a while, and have now decided to join so I can start discussing one of my favourite things to do, which is, of course, cooking.

Growing up, my mom worked evenings (piano teacher), so as soon as I was old enough (twelve or thirteen) I was in charge of making dinner for the family. My mom had a thirty minute window to eat dinner, so I had to make sure it was ready for six. Family dinners were highly orchestrated, because everything had to be ready to go on the dining room table, eaten and cleared by 6:30 when her next student came in.

My grandparents were foodies. They both worked in education. My grandfather a high school principal, and my grandmother the head of the adult learning centre at a college. I only mention what they did, because in my experience, people in this field really like to have a good time. Their life revolved around cooking and eating. They hosted dinner parties once a week, and the rest of the week they either ate at other people's dinner parties or at restaurants. Visits to their house consisted of lessons on how to set a table, proper dining etiquette, and cooking.

All of that has rubbed off on me. I love entertaining and hosting dinner parties. I'll take hours to set a table. I'll set it a few days in advance so I have time to tweak it as I go. I'll spend eight hours in the kitchen on the day of the party, quite happily, too. As my husband and I have no children, our house has become the "escape" house to our friends. They know that when they come here they get to eat course after course that their kids would probably wrinkle their noses at, drink copious amounts of wine and get to have adult conversations into the wee hours of the morning.

So, what else? I'm a trained classical singer. I studied Classics in university, but have gone back to school just recently for Human Resources (being a student as a full fledged adult is very different from the first time around). I garden (both flowers and vegetables), and love reading and writing.

So, hello. I'm excited to get started talking.

Last edited:
Hi, Nickee. Welcome to Discuss Cooking :) I also raise vegetables, and herbs, and enjoy reading and writing. Glad you decided to join us.

Welcome to DC. This is a fun place. Lots of laughter and plenty of food for thought.

Looking for some laughter? Head over to Today' Funny. We are just entering the gardening time of year, so you are going to be hearing a lot about who planted what, what critter got into the garden and had a feast and who is harvesting and canning.

So stick around. I love classical music. And out of five kids, only one loves it as much as I do. When he has some serious reading to do, he puts on Gregorian Chants. I am also a ballet nut. I could sit and watch it all day. My lullabies were by Bach, Strauss Family and others of that ilk. :angel:

NickeeCoco, welcome! :flowers: I enjoy your posts, and would love to come to your house for a dinner party and musical entertainment! :)

Thanks, everyone. :)

I'm south, in Windsor, Ontario. Right across the river from Detroit, MI.

Hello, Nickee.

Fellow Ontarian here..I'm Northwest of Ottawa about 100 Kilometers up the Trans Canada...I play a little music every weekend with different bands, people, etc....hope you like it here....

Last edited:
Hello, Nickee.

Fellow Ontarian here..I'm Northwest of Ottawa about 100 Kilometers up the Trans Canada...I play a little music every weekend with different bands, people, etc....hope you like it here....

What do you play? My husband is a drummer. He studied at Humber in their jazz program. (He later became a mold maker apprentice and has been a mold designer for almost 20 years). He plays in a couple of bands. One's metal and the other is more "groovy" apparently. This second band is a newer incarnation of some of the guys he plays with, and as such, have not heard them yet, though there are plans for a gig in the coming months. Their plans were delayed a bit when their studio flooded and they had to move. They're just starting to practice again.

Addie said:
So stick around. I love classical music. And out of five kids, only one loves it as much as I do. When he has some serious reading to do, he puts on Gregorian Chants. I am also a ballet nut. I could sit and watch it all day. My lullabies were by Bach, Strauss Family and others of that ilk.

Yeah. My lullabies were similar, though my mother's favourite composer is Debussy, so I heard a LOT of Debussy. She was a concert pianist before she was hit by a drunk driver and he ruined her shoulders.

I'm a drummer also. And a singer. R&B, Blues,Pop,Rock,Country. I've pretty much played it all over the years. Bars, weddings, festivals, etc. I am currently in three bands. I play most weekends. I also went to Humber College. Not for music though. I was a Funeral Director for a few years back in the 80's. Got my training there....that was many moons ago. I've been in the restaurant business for a few decades now...

I'm a drummer also. And a singer. R&B, Blues,Pop,Rock,Country. I've pretty much played it all over the years. Bars, weddings, festivals, etc. I am currently in three bands. I play most weekends. I also went to Humber College. Not for music though. I was a Funeral Director for a few years back in the 80's. Got my training there....that was many moons ago. I've been in the restaurant business for a few decades now...

Nice! I'm glad to see you kept the music in there. Music is important. I'm surprised you have time for gigs being in the restaurant business. My experience in the service industry showed me that it's really crappy hours. :)

If you're into watching documentaries about Canadian bands, a documentary was made about my husband's old band (recently broken up after fifteen years). I think you can rent it on-line. So bizarre watching it. At least, I find it so, 'cos I know all of the guys in the band.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fiftywatthead

Nice! I'm glad to see you kept the music in there. Music is important. I'm surprised you have time for gigs being in the restaurant business. My experience in the service industry showed me that it's really crappy hours. :)

It used to be crappy hours, but I ended up with my own place and made sure I had the evening off. Currently, I manage a deli and meat shop which is closed at 6 p.m. Sundays off. Over the years I have gone to work many times on 2-3 hours sleep...I'll check out the video..thanks...

I have only ever sang at one dinner party and that was at Christmas time. I decided to sing O Holy Night, but it was late into the night and a ridiculous amount of wine had been consumed and I forgot half of the words and had no breath control. It was awful, really.

I'm on the other side of the province--a hop, skip, and a jump away from the Ontario-Quebec border. Nice to have another person from Ontario taking part in this forum!

Back
Top Bottom