"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 09-05-2013, 03:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to Letrell
Not so new, but new here

Been a member for about 5 years; a quiet member. Just entered Culinary School. Not sure how much time I will have to be online, haven't had much time the past few years, but I think it will do me good to at least find the time to read what y'all have to say.

I'm happy to be a member and look forward to being at least a little involved.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Executive Chef

hi letrell, welcome to dc, and congrats for finally coming out (of the pantry). best of luck at school. you have exciting and challenging times ahead--work hard and keep your eye on the prize. besides having many knowledgeable cooks here, this is a great place for when you need moral support, encouragement, or just a sympathetic ear....:)

Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC Letrell and good morning. We all look forward to hearing about the adventure you are embarking on. I hope you are able to be here often and share what you are learning.

Some of our members who are in culinary school sort of use this forum as their daily diary and we really enjoy hearing about it. I hope you choose to do this also. Do stop by often and keep us informed.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Howdy!
Welcome to D.C.!
I wish you every success at culinary school!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Master Chef

Yeh, I'm both too old, and too broke to attend cullinary school. I often wish I had taken that path in my youth. But electronics has given me a decent enough pay to raise my kids. I just find cooking to be so much more rewarding. I'd like to teach cooking classes. I think that would be the ultimate job.

I ramble as I'm a bit envious of you. I hope you have a great time, and can put your skills to use in a way that enriches your life, and the lives of those you love.

Welcome to DC. You already have friends here. Get to know us by participating. You say you've been a quiet member for five years. So now, let us get to know you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Yeh, I'm both too old, and too broke to attend cullinary school. I often wish I had taken that path in my youth. But electronics has given me a decent enough pay to raise my kids. I just find cooking to be so much more rewarding. I'd like to teach cooking classes. I think that would be the ultimate job.

I ramble as I'm a bit envious of you. I hope you have a great time, and can put your skills to use in a way that enriches your life, and the lives of those you love.

Welcome to DC. You already have friends here. Get to know us by participating. You say you've been a quiet member for five years. So now, let us get to know you.

Oh, Darlin....I'm 55. All those reasons you have for not pursuing the dream were mine. I started having kids in my 30's and in 6 years my youngest goes off to college. I thought about all I gave up to be the good mom and housewife and decided life's too short. So here I go...the granny of the class. Ya know...LOL...I have 40 years experience on those kids. It'll be just fine. You should reconsider it. We only get one shot. Let's make it count.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi, Letrell. Nice to meet you I started culinary school about a year ago at 49 but had to withdraw because of medical problems. I had a blast the two months I was there, though. Just wish I could have made it to the butchery class

Good luck and I hope you have time to tell us about your adventures
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

I want to thank all of you for the kind welcome. Had a call today from the .... the.... hmmm.... not sure what to call him. Chef in charge of the culinary program? LOL. He was questioning if I really knew what I was getting into....said it was "like real college". I had to smile. I guess he hadn't looked at my 4.0 gpa that was transferring in..."real college". He was very nice...just wanted to make certain it was what I really wanted to do. I'll be away from home Sunday through Friday (like I'm going to complain?). Dang, it's a vacation for me! I look forward to it.

It's so hard to wrap my thoughts around the fact that it's time for "me", if that makes sense.

It's a nice feeling
Old 09-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letrell View Post
I want to thank all of you for the kind welcome. Had a call today from the .... the.... hmmm.... not sure what to call him. Chef in charge of the culinary program? LOL. He was questioning if I really knew what I was getting into....said it was "like real college". I had to smile. I guess he hadn't looked at my 4.0 gpa that was transferring in..."real college". He was very nice...just wanted to make certain it was what I really wanted to do. I'll be away from home Sunday through Friday (like I'm going to complain?). Dang, it's a vacation for me! I look forward to it.

It's so hard to wrap my thoughts around the fact that it's time for "me", if that makes sense.

It's a nice feeling
Go get 'em. As you stated earlier, their will be surprises from the younger students who won't have the skills you already have developed. I started on my own B.S. in Electrical engineering, 13 years after graduating high-school, due to 10 years in the U.S Navy. The maturity gained during those years was a definite advantage. Even with a wife and four kids, I was able to complete in four years, something not every unmarried person was able to do. Something about self-discipline, and motivation had much to do with it, I think.

I regularly correspond with a professional chef I know. Sometimes he teaches me something, while much of the time, I'm introducing him to techniques and ideas he is unfamiliar with. Had I the time and resources to do what you are doing, I have no doubt that I would have an huge advantage over new, young students.

Go and learn. It's a great process, and a lot of fun. You will do well.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Having recently graduated with an AAS (4.0 GPA) at the age of 59, I can attest to the advantages that being an older student brings to the table. It was a great experience and as a matter of fact, I miss going to school. I am certain you will do well, and by all means, enjoy yourself.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote