Ok Ok Ok Ok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glazzguy

Assistant Cook
Looks like an interesting place here. I'm on the SE coast of the USA and will be mostly posting on ethnic and natural foods topics. I have nothing against hunters who eat what they kill. Most hunters are generous and give away a lot of their kills.

My all time favorite food is French fries made with organic potatoes or other potatoes that have taste to them. Lots of salt on the fries and lots of ketchup. Some fried fish along with that please! On the healthy side I love kale and good rye bread with caraway seeds. Toasted then butter spread on it. In the old country where my ancestors are from (Russia) a real treat was a slice of heavy rye bread with a clove of raw garlic rubbed into it.

I consider myself a very good cook when it comes to beans and split pea soup. I'm good with vegetables and unyeasted bread (making some tonite). Also home made sauerkraut

My favorite restaurants: The "No Name" in Boston and Katz's in New York City. You can't go wrong with the Sweet Tomatoes chain of buffet restaurants

gg

Welcome Glazzguy,
this is just the place to be..You will find almost anything you'd want and if you don't someone will jump in to try and help..Looking forward to some of your favorite unyeasted bread recipes...

kadesma:)

thanks and bread

pdswife and kadesma ... thanks much ladies.:)
My unyeasted sourdough bread is steamed-baked on the stove. No oven use. It's too heavy for most people. But it has a very good caraway-rye taste. One part caraway seed finely ground up in Krups coffee mill. Two parts rye and seven parts hard wheat. All ground at home. This bread is too hard core for most people here, there and everywhere.:chef:

But here is a bread maker who is really onto something. Honest pumpernickel bread http://www.samartha.net/SD/procedures/PPN01/index.html

gg

img_231687_0_0d113cec2788431b0b059474e6bb8ba6.gif

Welcome to DC. I love kale too, in Kenya, it's called 'Sukuma wiki' to mean something to push on the week when times are hard, it grows nearly everywhere. mine here even survive the winter(tough guys)I wonder how you cook yours!karibu.jpg

Hi GG! I'm with you on Katz in nyc! Best pastrami ever. Happy cooking at DC! You'll learn a lot of things here...!

Welcome!! There is nothing better than a good, heavy rye bread. I grew up in Cleveland Ohio and some mightly fine corned beef/pastrami sandwiches. Another thing that I can't find anywhere are the kaiser rolls, you know, the ones that are kind of hard on the outside and soft on the inside. All the ones down here are soft like a loaf of bread.

Anyway - welcome to the group.

welcome glazzguy.

wait until you meet subfuscpersona, our resident bread expert. you two will have a lot to talk about.

and there's nothing like a good, seedy, heavy rye. could you post your recipe please?

hmmm, i think i'll have to take a ride down to katz's this weekend for lunch. everyone's got me jonesin' for a pastrami sandwich.
(ahhhh, feel the envy...:mrgreen: )

elfie, around here, you almost always get your choice of regular roll (soft) or a hard roll (kaiser). i love tuna on a hard roll with raw onions, or roast beast on a hard roll with raw onion, cheddar, and gravy, aka a "giacomo sandwich".

Welocme to the site! The No Name is a great restaurant. So it Katz's. Man I dream of their pastrami sandwiches at least once a month. It has been a while since I have been there. I just might need to make a trip to NY to get my fix soon :)

Welcome to DC. Glad you joined us. I grew up in the Big Apple and miss Katz's too. Hope you'll stick around and exchange recipes and giggles. :)

Geebee & Chopstix! Guess what! We can order that sammich on line! Whoo-Hoo! (I may get the Brisket :-p )

http://www.delivery.com/order.php?toid=16366604&sid=QL2N8EIY6WN3KN8&rid=1857

GB said:
Welocme to the site! The No Name is a great restaurant. So it Katz's. Man I dream of their pastrami sandwiches at least once a month. It has been a while since I have been there. I just might need to make a trip to NY to get my fix soon :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom