"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Unhappy Onions!!!

HELLO. I AM NEW TO THIS COMMUNITY -- AND AM REALLY HOPING THERE IS HELP HERE....I AM HAVING GUESTS TODAY; MADE CHIPOTLE BEANS LAST NIGHT IN THE CROCKPOT...THIS MORNING HAVE DISCOVERED THE YELLOW ONION I PUT IN IS WAYYYYY TOO STRONG. IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET RID OF THIS STRONG TASTE? I HAVE MADE THIS RECIPE NUMEROUS TIMES AND IT IS DELICIOUS, BUT THIS TIME IT IS TERRIBLE! IF THERE IS NO SOLUTION I HAVE TO START OVER AND SOON!! WHILE WAITING I AM GOING TO GO PICK OUT ONION PIECES, AND ADD MORE CHICKEN BROTH. NO CHEF HAT FOR ME TODAY!! THANKS!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Is the strong taste limited to the onions or has it leached thru the dish?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Unhappy Onions

Ok Had To Go Taste....it Has Leached Into The Broth!! Perhaps I Can Save The Beans (all That Cooking Time) And Dump The Broth And Pick Out The Onions? Thots?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss AnotherCathy...Welcome DC!!!

I identify with your dilemma. Sometimes onions can be so strong they over power the dish completely. The only thing that will really work to keep the integrity of the dish from changing is to make another batch of your dish without onions, and mix the two together. Removing the onions will help some, but that strong taste is probably throughout your dish. Hopethis helps

Again Welcome to DC!!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Hospitality Queen

Hey Bob, that's what I was going to say!

and, welcome to dc, Cathy!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #6
Executive Chef

If the onion was raw, I would suggest soaking in milk for a while to take away the strength of taste. Stilll worth a shot I guess but I haven't enough experience with onions to know whether that would work. You could try taking the onions out and baking them in the oven further as roasted onions are often sweet. Again, being cooked, dunno.

The broth, well you could probably separate the broth from the rest of the dish, halve the quantity and top with another liquid to the desired volume. Water would be my first suggestion or wine/water combo. Tomato soup could be another additive. Combo of all three perhaps?

If you can save the broth and beans, you could perhaps just replace the onion rings.

Depends on the other flavours in the dish. Assuming this to be another Thanksgiving dish and I really have no idea about that!!! I also don't know cost/how long/how much effort goes into the dish so you need to determine whether saving it is feasible or to abandon before you hit the iceberg.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Executive Chef

And yeah Uncle Bob and JKath's idea is excellent. I wish I'd thought of that! Said I didn't have enough experience with onions!! LOL
Old 11-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Hey Bob, that's what I was going to say!

and, welcome to dc, Cathy!
(((((((((((((jkath)))))))))))))))

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks To Every One Of You For Your Ideas! I Have Dumped And Am Starting Over..quick Cook Method :) This Time Using A Small White Onion. This Dish Is Not For Thanksgiving...will Deal With That In A Couple Of Days (easy Here, Just Hubby And Me)...but For Friends Coming For Lunch!!! I Am Looking Forward To Coming Back Here To Browse And Meet Y'all!! Til Then, Happy Thanksgiving And Happy Cooking !!!
Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC,AC
So glad you've joined us..I see some of our wonderful members have been helping you already..Great...Hope your lunch goes well and we see you again soon..
kadesma