Osmokey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osmokey

Assistant Cook
Hello from Queens New York. Obviously I am new here. I am a young retire who has been in the food industry for a number of years. Actually cooking was only one of my careers, the last one. One of my passions is cooking. If I had to describe my style of cooking I would say it was home cooking using the KISS system; “Keep It Simple Stupid”. This was taught to me by one of the Chefs I worked for and I find it works just as well with life as it does with cooking.

Anyone interested, I have a great recipe for Home Fries. Home fries use to be a staple of New York City eat out breakfasts. But today, it’s just heated boiled potatoes and if you’re lucky, sautéed onions and peppers.

Welcome to the site!!! We are always interested in new recipes so please by all means post it :)

Welcome ot DC Osmokey...!! Love home fries! Post Away!! It's getting late, but I still have time to make them....
I’m new here and I’m not sure how to post a recipe.

HOME FRIES.
Whole unpeeled potatoes
White or Spanish onions
Green peppers
Sweet paprika
Black pepper

Secret ingredient

There are no amts here because it’s really just to taste. It’s the method and ingredients that are important.

Par boil potatoes (with skins) until ¾ cooked.

Cool, peel and cut or slice potatoes into good sized (sic) bite size pieces.

Sauté green peppers separately. (I don’t like to sauté peppers in most things because I think they give dishes an overpowering taste of peppers. I like to sauté them separately and add later).

Sauté onions (about half way) in large cast iron skillet, if you have one, if not …

Add potatoes to pan (About two layers. To many layers and they just steam)
Add paprika, for color.
Now comes the secret ingredient.

Goya Adobo. The plain kind, not the lemon or pepper.
If you read the ingredients you may not want to use it, seems to have a lot of salt. But I figure once or twice a month is worth it. I’ve tried to make my own mix of spices, but with out the salt, I hate to say, it doesn’t work.

After you add the spices, toss well and let cook until the bottom starts to crisp a little, toss in pan again and let it crisp some more.

Cook until done. If you like, you can do it in a 375 oven. Just make sure you don’t put them on top of each other and toss at least once. Bake until they look good to you.

The best oil to use for the Home Fries is Bacon Fat of course, but I’m sure your cardiologist wouldn’t agree, but as I said before, what the ****, once or twice a month …

Enjoy

Thanks for the recipe Osmokey! Sounds good! Ya did a good job posting your recipe. List the ingredients, then tell us what you personally do.

Fun!

I'm not use to this site and I have a bad habit of not reading instructions. I thought there was a way that you posted recipes that would or could be put in a place that anyone could look at them.

Steve

I thought I did list the ingredients, just not the amounts. As I said, it's a TT recipe.

I'm retired from a couple of things. I've owned, operated and watched two restaurants fail. I guess everything is a learning experience. I'm not exactly what you would call a gormet cook, but I like what most people refer to as home cooking and I am a fan of the KISS system for cooking and life.

I like to cook, take photos and enjoy life in general. I am unemployed (retired) by choice and I enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom