Pampushki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gypsypsyc

Assistant Cook
I remember as a child going to the local Transylvania Park near Detroit, MI and eating Pampushki that were made with cottage cheese and dill.

Last edited by a moderator:
:) Welcome, Gypsy Never heard what you are talking about. Can you descibe it a little more. Also never heard of Transylvania Park what is it like?Of course I do not know much about Michigan.:)

I also have not heard of this food but using google I found many recipes.

If Charlie D comes along soon, he may have a recipe.

pampushki

I too found many recipies. However, I was hoping someone who's grandma was still alive would remember or have transfered the recipie to them. The park no longer exists. I was a teenager when the park was there. I am now a senior citizen. All I remember is that it was a raised dough with cottage cheese and dill in it and fried. Maybe, I am wrong and it was not a raised dough. I spoke to my mother-in-law, who also remembers it, but she doesn't know how it was made. We have a Romanian cookbook that was made from many the recipies of the elders back in 1957 but it's not in there either (however one of my mother's is). So I don't know if there any Romanians out there that sign on to your website but if they do maybe they will remember. Thanks

I googled it but many of the recipes don't have dill but describe a bun soaked in garlic and oil. I searched on pampushki cheese dill and came across this interesting recipe.
From this blog: (also a description of getting the oil too hot-entertaining)

Memoirs of a Midget: May 2007

1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled
2 2/3 cups cooked mashed potatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
black pepper to seasoning
oil, for frying​

1) Grate raw potatoes and squeeze out as much water is possible. Mix in with mashed potatoes, salt and pepper. In another bowl, mix cottage cheese and chives.​

2) Using a spoon and your fingers, scoop up a portion of the potato mixture, slightly smaller than an egg, and then flatten into a circle.​

3) Put 1 tablespoon of the cheese filling into the middle, then fold over the edges and pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining potato and cheese mixtures, should make 12 dumplings.​

4) Heat oil to 340 degrees F. Deep-fry the dumplings for 10 minutes or until deep brown and crisp.​

This is traditionally cooked in stock or water and served with soup (I like split pea). You can poach the dumplings, just add 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour and 1 beaten egg to the mixture and poach the dumpling for 20 minutes.​

Chives or Dill--depending on the season, what's in the garden.
This reminds me of the potato and cottage cheese perogies my polish aunti taught us to make when I was little. (when the dinosaurs ruled) ~Bliss​

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom