Pan Dressing (Stuffing) Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JANTAL

Assistant Cook
I'm makling smoked Capon for XMas Eve dinner and want to do a savory pan dressing as a side dish. I was thinking of trying to use store bought or homemade savory croutons as a substitute for the usual cornbread looking not only for the added flavor, but for a nice textural crunch.

Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?:chef:

For Thanksgiving I bought a couple of sourdough boules two days before the big day. The night before Thanksgiving I tore it into bite-sized pieces and dried it out in the oven (for about 15-20 minutes) on cookie sheets while the cranberry sauce cooked. I then made my stuffing later that night and we just reheated it at serving time on T-Day. It turned out perfectly and will be the way I make stuffing from now on.

I've never made cornbread stuffing but it's something I keep saying I need to try. I'd approach that in the same way though, starting with a pan of cornbread that I cut / tore up and building from there.

Last edited:
Thanks, Zareh,

I've done similar in the past as well, but this time am particularly interestd in trying the croutons as they tend to be much crustier and firm than "staled" bread. I don't want to end up with "rocks" in the dressing if they're too hard, but if I use an appropriate amount of broth to soften, I think it will work. I just don't want to experiment with family coming over unless I'm pretty sure it will work.

JanTal:chef:

I'm makling smoked Capon for XMas Eve dinner and want to do a savory pan dressing as a side dish. I was thinking of trying to use store bought or homemade savory croutons as a substitute for the usual cornbread looking not only for the added flavor, but for a nice textural crunch.

Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?:chef:
We tore the bread up several days before turkey day. Putting it in the oven saves you some time.If you add turkey or chicken stock and several cubes of melted butter you will have a winner. I do take 1/2 a cube of the butter and melt it with evoo and saute my celery,onions,before I add them to the dressing no rocks anywhere in my dressing.
kadesma

I'd definitely go for garlic flavored croutons for dressing to go with the capons. You can control the degree of crunchiness by the amount of liquid you add.

ANDY:

Thanks! I agree, a garlic/herb crouton would probably by my choice.
My sister-in-law forgot to saute the onion/celery at TG and just mixed in with the dressing and baked. It turned out GREAT with just a little added crunch and a fresher flavor from the veggies than when presoftened in the saute pan. I intend to try this as well in my attempt.

Jan

Welcome to DC!

Sure you can use croutons for stuffing. I've gotten some yummy butter and garlic flavored ones (can't remember brand) that would make wonderful stuffing, except they were so tasty they quickly disappeared directly from the bag. The bags of stuffing mix in the store could be considered croutons.

ANDY:

Thanks! I agree, a garlic/herb crouton would probably by my choice.
My sister-in-law forgot to saute the onion/celery at TG and just mixed in with the dressing and baked. It turned out GREAT with just a little added crunch and a fresher flavor from the veggies than when presoftened in the saute pan. I intend to try this as well in my attempt.

Jan

I prefer to not saute' the onion/celery either. The addition of toasted pecans would enhance your dressing also.

The dressing we make around here comes from the days when we threw away little. Stale bread, left over corn bread, and such was used. We made stock from the bird parts, (liver, gizzard, skin, fat, etc.) adding celery and onions to the mix. Seasonings are mainly sage with some oregano, savory, marjoram being the most often used, as we grew those in the garden. It always turns out good but it is never exactly the same from one meal to the next.

I love cornbread dressing....2 days before, I make my cornbread. When I start my dressing, I do saute the onions and celery. I use croutons called sage and onion also. Use the juice off of the turkey, sage, sometimes the meat off of the neck that I cooked of the turkey, and the cornbread all crumbled up.....mmmm, I'm a southern girl, but you cant beat it!!!

I love cornbread dressing....2 days before, I make my cornbread. When I start my dressing, I do saute the onions and celery. I use croutons called sage and onion also. Use the juice off of the turkey, sage, sometimes the meat off of the neck that I cooked of the turkey, and the cornbread all crumbled up.....mmmm, I'm a southern girl, but you cant beat it!!!

I love you!

I'm with you Tawnydoll and Steve. That is the dressing I grew up eating here in GA. My mom used stale biscuits if they were available. Add some gravy and cranberry sauce, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Thanks for the idea Tawnydoll. I make turkey necks all the time, I don't know why I didn't make the connection. I live alone, so I often have cornbread left over. I'll try this for sure.

For those who make cornbread dressing:

Whats with the hard boiled eggs? I see them in cornbread dressing in these parts.

Lastly. Whats Capon? I understand its a bird, but I am not familiar with it nor have i ever tasted it.
Is it like chicken and turkey?

Thanks for the idea Zz. I put Turkey Necks on my grocery list for a possible post holiday mark-down. I usually put the neck meat in giblet gravy. Right now I am hankering for some leftover stuffing aNd surely don't want a whole bird of any kind. I can make gravy with the stock.

Thanks for the idea Zz. I put Turkey Necks on my grocery list for a possible post holiday mark-down. I usually put the neck meat in giblet gravy. Right now I am hankering for some leftover stuffing aNd surely don't want a whole bird of any kind. I can make gravy with the stock.

The stock has amazing flavor too. I let the turkey neck boil for a couple of hours. It takes a while to get really tender, but still has lots of flavor unlike some meats you can boil the flavor right out (like chicken).

I think you'll be happily surprised. Most packages of neck pieces are the larger ones nearer the body of the bird and have a surprising amount of meat on them. A 6" piece can weigh a pound!

Last edited:
"I think you'll be happily surprised. Most packages of neck pieces are the larger ones nearer the body of the bird and have a surprising amount of meat on them. A 6" piece can weigh a pound! "

Wonderful. Shhh. Don't tell anyone else !

Back
Top Bottom