"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 12-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Pan Dressing (Stuffing) Question

I'm makling smoked Capon for XMas Eve dinner and want to do a savory pan dressing as a side dish. I was thinking of trying to use store bought or homemade savory croutons as a substitute for the usual cornbread looking not only for the added flavor, but for a nice textural crunch.

Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Head Chef

For Thanksgiving I bought a couple of sourdough boules two days before the big day. The night before Thanksgiving I tore it into bite-sized pieces and dried it out in the oven (for about 15-20 minutes) on cookie sheets while the cranberry sauce cooked. I then made my stuffing later that night and we just reheated it at serving time on T-Day. It turned out perfectly and will be the way I make stuffing from now on.

I've never made cornbread stuffing but it's something I keep saying I need to try. I'd approach that in the same way though, starting with a pan of cornbread that I cut / tore up and building from there.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks, Zareh,

I've done similar in the past as well, but this time am particularly interestd in trying the croutons as they tend to be much crustier and firm than "staled" bread. I don't want to end up with "rocks" in the dressing if they're too hard, but if I use an appropriate amount of broth to soften, I think it will work. I just don't want to experiment with family coming over unless I'm pretty sure it will work.

JanTal
Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANTAL View Post
I'm makling smoked Capon for XMas Eve dinner and want to do a savory pan dressing as a side dish. I was thinking of trying to use store bought or homemade savory croutons as a substitute for the usual cornbread looking not only for the added flavor, but for a nice textural crunch.

Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?
We tore the bread up several days before turkey day. Putting it in the oven saves you some time.If you add turkey or chicken stock and several cubes of melted butter you will have a winner. I do take 1/2 a cube of the butter and melt it with evoo and saute my celery,onions,before I add them to the dressing no rocks anywhere in my dressing.
kadesma
Old 12-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd definitely go for garlic flavored croutons for dressing to go with the capons. You can control the degree of crunchiness by the amount of liquid you add.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

ANDY:

Thanks! I agree, a garlic/herb crouton would probably by my choice.
My sister-in-law forgot to saute the onion/celery at TG and just mixed in with the dressing and baked. It turned out GREAT with just a little added crunch and a fresher flavor from the veggies than when presoftened in the saute pan. I intend to try this as well in my attempt.

Jan
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC
Old 12-14-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC!

Sure you can use croutons for stuffing. I've gotten some yummy butter and garlic flavored ones (can't remember brand) that would make wonderful stuffing, except they were so tasty they quickly disappeared directly from the bag. The bags of stuffing mix in the store could be considered croutons.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANTAL View Post
ANDY:

Thanks! I agree, a garlic/herb crouton would probably by my choice.
My sister-in-law forgot to saute the onion/celery at TG and just mixed in with the dressing and baked. It turned out GREAT with just a little added crunch and a fresher flavor from the veggies than when presoftened in the saute pan. I intend to try this as well in my attempt.

Jan
I prefer to not saute' the onion/celery either. The addition of toasted pecans would enhance your dressing also.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The dressing we make around here comes from the days when we threw away little. Stale bread, left over corn bread, and such was used. We made stock from the bird parts, (liver, gizzard, skin, fat, etc.) adding celery and onions to the mix. Seasonings are mainly sage with some oregano, savory, marjoram being the most often used, as we grew those in the garden. It always turns out good but it is never exactly the same from one meal to the next.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dressing, stuffing