Power or Look?for the island hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doglover

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I am going to get Wolf 36"gas range top with 6 burners in my island.
Anyone has opinion over how much CFM my island hood would need?
I have been narrowing down to a beautiful island hood by Futuro Futuro which claims its 940 CFM with amazingly low noise level. My other choices'd be little bulkier hoods with optional remote blower which I don't really like.
I don't want to have smoky&greasey kitchen, however, I don't want a big cnimmney in the middle of my modern kitchen either! And spending over $3000 for a hood is something I'd like to avoid......Thanks for your help!

I think a 900 cfm blower should be sufficient for the home cook. I think the 1200 + cfm hoods are more suited for a professional kitchen.

I have a 500 cfm telescopic downdraft (my 36 inch cooktop is in my island) and I chose not to go with an over the ceiling hood. I like an unobstructed kitchen and the telescopic disappears when I dont need it. Also the downdraft (regardless of what I had heard about it) works extremely well for me and my type of cooking.

My aunt has one of the super professional 1000+ cfm overhead hoods and it is extremely noisy. Most times she never cranks it up anything more than the lowest setting. At the highest setting you would have to almost scream to continue your conversation :)

Just keep one thing in mind that if you are going for a fancy glass type hood the cleaning sometimes can be a pain and this is from my neighbour who has a snazzy looking one especially if you cook a lot but it does not sound like that you do that sort of heavy duty cooking so you should be alright.

They recommend more CMF than 600. Now, only concern I have for getting Futuro Futuro island hood is that they don't have any showrooms/dealers in California...

it's not just smoke and grease abatement, it is also heat removal. 6 burners at 15,000 btu is some kinda heat and needs to be vented outside efficiently. Check with the Wolf dealer who will advise you on what will work.

I'm getting a 36" Wolf Rangetop with infrared grill. Getting the professional island Viking hood with 1200 remote blower. I hear remote is the way to go to really vent something like meats grilling on an infrared grill...I have heard many of the professional grade hoods can be noisy, however...but hoping that having the blower on the roof will make this less of an issue.

It is odd, however that my hood, stainless steel soffett and blower cost more than my Wolf rangetop! :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom