"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #11
Head Chef

The only problem in my kitchen is that I don't have a gourmet chef to prepare my meals when and how I see fit.

It's tough having to prepare a basic necessity of life for ones self.

Perhaps one day I'll find the magic solution.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
The only problem in my kitchen is that I don't have a gourmet chef to prepare my meals when and how I see fit.

It's tough having to prepare a basic necessity of life for ones self.

Perhaps one day I'll find the magic solution.
Well the only problem in my kitchen is the lack of space.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:35 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Well, tell us what are your daily problems, Jevans98!

My problem is that I haven't enough time to test all the recipe I have in my box, and sometimes it makes me mad at it. Well, then I haven't got a food processor, no Kitchen Aid, no bread machine - only my oven. And honestly I prefer it. Getting fit while kneading bread's dough is somewhat funny. But time is the problem. Can we consider it as a kitchen problem? Am I the only one? Under a more physical point of view... knife bruises are usual, when I am in a hurry. But there I go back again to my time problem......
Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevans98 View Post
I actually work in a kitchen and cook a lot at home so im talking both really but i find i have the same sort of problems in both.
So list these 'daily problems'.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Mice?

Honestly, I don't have many problems in my kitchen that aren't of my own making.
I live in the country. Mice are a common problem in the fall. This past year was horrible for mice. Everyone was complaining about mice. Being allergic to cats, the perfect solution to a mice invasion, I made my kitchen unattractive to mice. I store all my perishables in jars. I have those gallon jars from the commercial kitchen, recycled jars (buying products by the case gives me access to jars that are all the same size). I even store my dishtowels and cloths in glass. And, I take out the garbage daily.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I live in the country. Mice are a common problem in the fall. This past year was horrible for mice. Everyone was complaining about mice. Being allergic to cats, the perfect solution to a mice invasion, I made my kitchen unattractive to mice. I store all my perishables in jars. I have those gallon jars from the commercial kitchen, recycled jars (buying products by the case gives me access to jars that are all the same size). I even store my dishtowels and cloths in glass. And, I take out the garbage daily.
There is a reason why farms and ranches have barn cats. We had one when we lived on the farm. Her name was Nell. She was a great mouser. I often wondered why my mother named her that. Until I read "My Friend Flika by Mary O'Hara. It was the name of the cat in that story.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I would say that a small, poorly designed kitchen is my big kitchen problem. Not enough counter space is a nuisance. We use the portable dishwasher as an island and it's not even full sized. It has to be moved very frequently to allow access to something and then moved back for access to something else. It's a real pain when I want some help and we keep bumping each other.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I would say that a small, poorly designed kitchen is my big kitchen problem. Not enough counter space is a nuisance. We use the portable dishwasher as an island and it's not even full sized. It has to be moved very frequently to allow access to something and then moved back for access to something else. It's a real pain when I want some help and we keep bumping each other.
I have found ways of getting extra space. I open a drawer and place a baking sheet on it!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

The only real thought that went into the kitchens in this building was that should a resident start to fall, there was a way for the resident to stop the fall or grab onto something. As a result the kitchens are very narrow. And I have one of the largest kitchens. My short little arms can span from counter to counter. I sit on my stool at my eating table in the big room to do prep work. The counter top on the left forefront, is two cabinet doors wide. Just large enough to roll out dough for cooking cutting. My KA stands at the end. On the right side of the pic, I have (out of sight) a lower movable table that holds my toaster oven with shelves underneath for small appliances. There are five outlets in the kitchen. I am actually standing in the doorway to the small room. Only a very few non-handicap or couples apartments have. That is my junk room.

After having seen how small some of these apartments and in particular the kitchens are, I would feel claustraphobic. I think I would rather be homeless. But I am very happy in my little world. Even my small kitchen.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2015, 01:03 PM   #20
Head Chef

There is a downside to big kitchens....lots of walking to and fro!

Tags
kitchen