Problems in the kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jevans98

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone
I experience problems, difficulties or inconveniences in the kitchen almost daily and im sure most other people do. Please share with me difficulties that you come across so i can see if i experience the same things because i am constantly looking to make kitchen life easier as it can drive me mad sometimes. I would appreciate all feedback.
Thank you very much

Welcome to DC! Are we talking about a professional kitchen or a home kitchen? I'm guessing professional kitchen since you mention daily problems? If a home kitchen, then I'm guessing you are a lousy cook to have daily problems!:LOL::rolleyes::angel:

I actually work in a kitchen and cook a lot at home so im talking both really but i find i have the same sort of problems in both.

Jevans98, I'm sure we've all had some sort of problems in the kitchen. Can you be more specific about what you're encountering? That would make it easier to answer your question.

Yes, I agree GG.

What specific problems are you encountering Jevans, perhaps we can help you. Personally I can almost always find a solution or another way of doing something.

Wow...calling a new member a lousy cook...:ermm::ohmy:

I'm one of the few here who doesn't have all the newest gadgets, but like those above who have commented, what is it that you're having trouble with? Hope you stick around, Jevan, and wecome to DC. :flowers:

Jevans...what are these "same sort of problems"? Sound very vague. Can you be more specific please so that we are able to help you?

Wow...calling a new member a lousy cook...:ermm::ohmy:

I'm one of the few here who doesn't have all the newest gadgets, but like those above who have commented, what is it that you're having trouble with? Hope you stick around, Jevan, and wecome to DC. :flowers:

Seriously, with all the smileys, you can't tell I was being humorous?:(

Well for 1 my stove is too small. It is a gas laGermania.
3 burners on top and a small gas oven. There are hot spots in the oven
that cook things at different rates.
Power is unstable here so the only electric appliance I have is a blender.
Lots of hand work done here.

The only problem in my kitchen is that I don't have a gourmet chef to prepare my meals when and how I see fit. ;)

It's tough having to prepare a basic necessity of life for ones self. :unsure:

Perhaps one day I'll find the magic solution. :rolleyes:

The only problem in my kitchen is that I don't have a gourmet chef to prepare my meals when and how I see fit. ;)

It's tough having to prepare a basic necessity of life for ones self. :unsure:

Perhaps one day I'll find the magic solution. :rolleyes:
Well the only problem in my kitchen is the lack of space.

Well, tell us what are your daily problems, Jevans98!

My problem is that I haven't enough time to test all the recipe I have in my box, and sometimes it makes me mad at it. Well, then I haven't got a food processor, no Kitchen Aid, no bread machine - only my oven. And honestly I prefer it. Getting fit while kneading bread's dough is somewhat funny. But time is the problem. Can we consider it as a kitchen problem? :( Am I the only one? :) Under a more physical point of view... knife bruises are usual, when I am in a hurry. But there I go back again to my time problem......

Mice?

Honestly, I don't have many problems in my kitchen that aren't of my own making.
I live in the country. Mice are a common problem in the fall. This past year was horrible for mice. Everyone was complaining about mice. Being allergic to cats, the perfect solution to a mice invasion, I made my kitchen unattractive to mice. I store all my perishables in jars. I have those gallon jars from the commercial kitchen, recycled jars (buying products by the case gives me access to jars that are all the same size). I even store my dishtowels and cloths in glass. And, I take out the garbage daily.

I live in the country. Mice are a common problem in the fall. This past year was horrible for mice. Everyone was complaining about mice. Being allergic to cats, the perfect solution to a mice invasion, I made my kitchen unattractive to mice. I store all my perishables in jars. I have those gallon jars from the commercial kitchen, recycled jars (buying products by the case gives me access to jars that are all the same size). I even store my dishtowels and cloths in glass. And, I take out the garbage daily.

There is a reason why farms and ranches have barn cats. We had one when we lived on the farm. Her name was Nell. She was a great mouser. I often wondered why my mother named her that. Until I read "My Friend Flika by Mary O'Hara. It was the name of the cat in that story. :angel:

I would say that a small, poorly designed kitchen is my big kitchen problem. Not enough counter space is a nuisance. We use the portable dishwasher as an island and it's not even full sized. It has to be moved very frequently to allow access to something and then moved back for access to something else. It's a real pain when I want some help and we keep bumping each other.

I would say that a small, poorly designed kitchen is my big kitchen problem. Not enough counter space is a nuisance. We use the portable dishwasher as an island and it's not even full sized. It has to be moved very frequently to allow access to something and then moved back for access to something else. It's a real pain when I want some help and we keep bumping each other.
I have found ways of getting extra space. I open a drawer and place a baking sheet on it!

The only real thought that went into the kitchens in this building was that should a resident start to fall, there was a way for the resident to stop the fall or grab onto something. As a result the kitchens are very narrow. And I have one of the largest kitchens. My short little arms can span from counter to counter. I sit on my stool at my eating table in the big room to do prep work. The counter top on the left forefront, is two cabinet doors wide. Just large enough to roll out dough for cooking cutting. My KA stands at the end. On the right side of the pic, I have (out of sight) a lower movable table that holds my toaster oven with shelves underneath for small appliances. There are five outlets in the kitchen. I am actually standing in the doorway to the small room. Only a very few non-handicap or couples apartments have. That is my junk room.

After having seen how small some of these apartments and in particular the kitchens are, I would feel claustraphobic. I think I would rather be homeless. But I am very happy in my little world. Even my small kitchen. :angel:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom