remedial cooking 101?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrspotts66

Assistant Cook
hi everyone! i'm new to the boards. i came here for tips, tricks, and how-to's, as well as conversation and such!

are the boards welcoming to those with less than average cooking skills? :oops:

and can anyone point me toward good cuts of beef that don't dry out when broiling? lol (dh loves steak, and i kill it every time. :? )

looking forward to meeting everyone and learning from you!
~~paula

Hi mrspotts!!! Welcome to Discuss Cooking. All cooking expertise is welcome here - we all learn together.

Now, about that steak... how do you and mrpotts like your steaks done? Rare, medium-rare, medium, medium-well, or well. That will be a good place to start from. What are your favorite cuts, i.e., ribeye, sirloin, flank, filet, t-bone?

hi there!

we both like our steaks done med-well to well done.

and i have no idea about cuts. i have no idea what to look for in the store. i do know that we've bought bottom round and top round before, and they both are just too tough, even when i DO manage to cook them to a nice medium doneness. (my MIL has bought us filet mignon before, and that's a nice treat. but it's not something that i can afford on a regular basis.)

thanks for your help. :D

Welcome to the site. EVERYONE is welcome here and we are glad you found us.

Most cuts can be cooked under the broiler without drying out. The key is to not leave then in too long. The best way to judge this is with a probe thermometer. As long as you cook the meat to medium or less (in my opinion) the meat should still be juicy.

Hi Mrspotts! I'm glad you found us!
wave2.gif

thanks for the welcome, everyone! i appreciate it. :)

re: well-done steaks. i'm not really looking for super juicy. i'm just trying to avoid shoe leather, if you kwim? :LOL:

i've been marinating a top round for an hour. i'm going to so see what damage i can do to it now. wish me luck.

i'll be seeing you all around! have a great night!
~~paula

well, i have to say the steak came out all right last night. it was a very thick steak, so i sliced it into 1/2" strips and broiled for about 4 mins. they came out a juicy medium, and i enjoyed them!

for the most part, i broil steaks in a toaster oven. usually marinated beforehand in Italian dressing.

i think i'm going to convert to medium. however, dh, still wants his done to a med-well, well.

thanks for the welcome, everyone! and for not making me feel stupid. ;)
i'm off to browse the forums.
~~paula

Anotherh tip is you can still make your husband's medium-well and let it sit for about 10 minutes - it will continue cooking without drying out.

If you like Asian flavors try marinating in equal amounts of teriyaki, pineapple juice, and white wine, fresh garlic and ginger, about 1 TBS of each of those - if you don't want to use white wine add a little chicken broth.

Must be too early in the morning...

I keep reading Mr. Spotts
instead of Mrs. Potts!

COfffffffeeeee, I neeeeed coffeeeeeeee! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom