"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 08-19-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Contest Winner
Cool Remember me?

Anyone remember me? I used to be around quite a bit before but "life" got in the way and I've not been here in a long time. I miss it though and will be here more often now, I think. I forgot how much I love this place!

So where have I been? Well, basically I just did a whole, big career change. I used to be a pre-school teacher, and while I loved it, the wages were very difficult to live off of. Anyway, i have a friend of mine who is a maitre'd in a fine dining establishment. (like a place where a typical bill will be over $600 because of wine and so forth) He suggested I get into being a server because I love food (talking about it, cooking it, etc.) and am very friendly and outgoing as well as the money is very good.

So.. basically.. that is what I am doing now! It's not like a Denny's "do you want fries with that?" type of waitress though. Total opposite. Everything is slow, and steady, and nice and relaxed and upscale. The dishes are amazing and the menu changes daily. I will have maybe 3, 4 of 5 tables a night and that is it... but each one stays over 2 hrs usually and there are multiple courses.

Anyway... I love it! I am making an excellent living now and enjoy being able to see, taste, and talk about food in my career as well. I never, ever would have thought to get into this industry, but I am so glad I did! (and am so lucky to have had the "in" of knowing the maitre'd... as most people in fine dining have to have been in the service industry for YEARS before they will even look at you)

So... that's where I've been! Oh, and I've moved as well. (same city, but still, its quite the ordeal) I've been helping my Mom renovate her house this summer too. Just busy, busy, busy!

How is everyone here? I see some familiar faces, which I'm glad about... Hope you are all well.

~passionate pescetarian~
grumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Hey Grumblebee, welcome home! We have missed you. There has been some chat recently about bento boxes and you were mentioned.

If I may ask, which fine dining establishment are you working at? You can PM me if you would rather not share that in public. I am very familiar with that city as I have 3 sisters living there and visit often.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Wow Grumblebee, that is an exciting adventure you've been on..Good for you. I'm glad you've decided to come visit more often and look forward to hearing about how things are going. Take care and welcome back.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Congratulations, grumblebee! Isn't it a pleasure to enjoy what you do...and get paid for it? Glad you're doing better and have found a way to enjoy food at work. I look forward to seeing you more often.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Glad you are back Grumble Bee!When you get time lets us know what dishes they serve and so on at your new job.JP
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
DC's Angel
Sounds wonderful. Congratulations.

Katie E and I are awaiting your invitation to dine at your fine establishment (as guests of the house, of course).

Please don't keep us waiting. (that's your job).
If we weren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer
Welcome home Grumblebee!!! It is great to see you again. Your career change sounds perfect for you.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Head Chef
Welcome back, Grumblebee! It sounds as if all the changes in your life are going well.
"To be broke is not a disgrace, it is only a catastrophe." -- Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout
bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:03 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Good to see you again Grumblebee!!!! Congratulations on the new job change! Way to go!
Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Hey, it's the bento chick from Canada. Welcome to the industry.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote