Safe, healthy cookware.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beccielou

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am purchasing my first home with my partner and the only thing left on our list to purchase is pots and pan.

I am very health conscious after reading a recent article regarding harmful everyday cookware.

Can any one recommend safe cookware? Is ceramic coating a good choice?
I have researched this topic and visited a variety of different websites, which I have found to contradict one another.

Thanks in advance
Rebecca

Safest cooking device I know, Willow stick and a cooking fire in the back yard. After that, cast iron has nothing in or on it that can hurt you, unless you get your spouse angry at you.:LOL:

Seriously, aluminum is safe, as are ceramic coated pans. If used with moderate heat, even teflon is safe. Copper has to be tinned as copper can leach into foods and can cause heavy metal poisoning over time.

Of course there is much controversy about the safety of one type of cookware over another. My grandparents used cast iron and lived into their late 80's. I've been using cast iron, aluminum, stainless steel, borosilicate glass, tempered glass, and for very specific purposes, teflon for all of my adult life. I'm turning 60 years of age very soon.

I don't believe you will find one, absolute answer as there are advantages, and disadvantages to each kind of cookware.

But beware, leaded anything is bad. Just ask the ancient Romans who used lead utensils, goblets, and such things. Ever wonder why Nero was crazy, look at all the lead in his life.:ohmy: (I know you already know this. I was just being goofy. Must have picked a little loco weed from my garden.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I would concern myself with only what I put in the pots and pans you decide to buy.
I may be weird? But I have never ever thought of safety when buying cookware.
If its sold to cook with, I have a good idea its safe to use.
Just me.

I would concern myself with only what I put in the pots and pans you decide to buy.
I may be weird? But I have never ever thought of safety when buying cookware.
If its sold to cook with, I have a good idea its safe to use.
Just me.
Yeah, like when non-stick pans gave off toxic fumes? Some enamelled or ceramic cookware contains lead.

And some cookware has "risk of laceration" or catches fire:

SaferProducts.gov | Search Result

Reminds me of my ribeye cooked in cast iron, and the Towering Inferno a few weeks ago. Lesson learned, always keep a smothering lid handy.

Yes, so am I, and I never really gave this any topic any thought until just now. I had heard once that cooking in aluminum would give you breast cancer... or was that antiperspirant with aluminum-oxide, can't remember, getting old :)
It was the aluminium in antiperspirant, but that turned out to be just an urban legend and not true. There is some controversy over whether or not aluminium causes or worsens Alzheimer's.

Back in the day, the steel used in making the Ulfberht, was notorious for killing people! :angel: It is also said that breathing can kill you!:ohmy:

Too much iron in your body will poison you. Too much water will deplete your electolytes, and put stress on your body, and can kill you. Oregano is a muscle relaxer and can cause severe gastric problems if enough is eaten. Most herbs have some kind of medicinal quality that can hurt you if to much is ingested.

Stainless steel, cast iron, copper, aluminum, they all can kill, especially when the pans are used to clunk someone on the noggin.:angel:

Even pure oxygen can kill you. If you breathe from a scuba tank that contains pure oxygen, at depths of 30 feet and below, the gas becomes poisonous. Ordinary air becomes poisonous below 90 feet. Below 120 feet, if I remember correctly, the nitrogen in air needs to be replaced by helium.

I read an elegant definition of what we, as organic life creatures are; a hydro-electrical mechanism. I add to that. We are a hydro-electrical-chemical processing engine. Anything out that can disrupt the orderly chemical reactions, will disrupt the engine.

Ok, yes, I'm a strange man.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now I do know if you put a corning ware or Pyrex baking dish on a hot burner on the stove it can be hazardous to your health, your pride and the dish itself.
Also never put cold water in a hot Pyrex baking dish.
The first might shatter into a million little shards and the second will split.

My kitchen is an eclectic collection of stainless steel, cast iron, copper bottomed I think aluminum (either revere or farberware), a bit of ceramic, some cast aluminum and one non-stick griddle.

My bakeware is also an eclectic assortment. But again very little non-stick.

Have you got your dishes, knives and assorted kitchen utensils?

Also I highly recommend a good all-purpose cookbook.
Personal favorites are Joy of Cooking, Good Housekeeping, and Betty Crocker.
The first two have really good sections on setting up a kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom