"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

My uncle sailed around the world and had a pressure cooker on board.

When you make pasta or rice, make enough for two meals and refrigerate the rest. Use the leftovers the next day to make something different, i.e., white rice under a stir-fry one day, fried rice with lots of veggies the next. Or spaghetti one day and lo mein the next.

Buy or put together some dried herb/spice blends for different cuisines, such as Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, Indian, Hunan, Thai, etc. Buy or get ideas for blends here: Penzeys Spices Home Page Then you can use the same seasoning to flavor the meat, carb and veggie in a dish.

One easy side dish I love is Italian green beans: Saute a 1/2 cup of onion and 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil, add a can of green beans, a can of diced tomatoes and some Italian seasoning, crush the tomatoes slightly and simmer about 10 minutes. You can also use granulated garlic and dried onion if they're easier for you to keep on board.

Also, get a copy of this: Amazon.com: Good Boatkeeping: Zora Aiken, David Aiken: Books

My mom and her husband have gone up and down the Intracoastal Waterway many times - it's an invaluable reference for living aboard a boat. HTH.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Below is a good recipe I found at betterrecipes.com
(I like to substitute apple juice or peach nectar for the grapefruit juice.) QSis, jkath, and jeekinz have made some very good suggetions. Experiment with different fruits and veggies on the grill (sorry about your grill -- I'm sure you'll find another). I just remembered that my sister has an electric grill, but I don't know where she purchased it. That's another option for you. Let us know how your food adventures turn out!

Sweet Fruit Kabobs
These fruit kabobs are a healthy way to end a night of grilling family fun. They are naturally sweet and caramelize on the grill for a nice texture.
Ingredients:
3 bananas, thick slices
2 Bartlett pears, sliced into thick wedges
2 granny smith apples, sliced into thick wedges
2 peaches, sliced into thick wedges
1 fresh pineapple cubed
Marinade:
1 cup grapefruit juice
1/2 cup honey
3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
Method
Combine juice, honey, and mint. Marinate fruit for at least 30 minutes. Place fruit on skewer, alternating types. Grill or broil for 6-8 minutes. Baste with marinade as needed.
Notes: The family has fun assembling. Little ones will need help cutting. Other juices can be substituted for marinade and the mint left out.
Number of servings: 6-8
Submitted By: animato

Old 07-08-2008, 12:11 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Wow...you guys rock! Thanks for all the great ideas, I don't have a pressure cooker, but I do have a Microwave, Crock-Pot, and I even have a bread-maker for long journey's because bread only lasts a few days onboard. I can only use them while at a dock or when the engine is running though. Of course I have a propane stove with an oven too.
I should get my new grill by this weekend so I'll be grilling fruit like mad this weekend! My freezer won't keep ice cream, but when I really want some (and have ice) I make ice cream in a baggie. It's really good, and fun to make and only takes a few minutes. I think I'll put that on the grilled fruit.
I'm going to check out the Good Boatkeeping book too. It sounds like a good one to have around.

Keep all the great ideas coming!
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
You can grill marinaded pineapple wedges in dark rum and top with vanilla ice cream.
We grill pineapple lots, since they're so good right now -
Did you ever see the episode of Take Home Chef where he did pineapples with Malibu rum? Talk about decadent!

TLC :: Take Home Chef

(you can easily do this type of thing on a grill as well - just cut the pineapple thinner)
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I do have a good recipe for you it's simple and healthy as long as you have a fridge on board or ice chest

Chicken Piccata

Ingredients
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.
Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdrizzle View Post
I do have a good recipe for you it's simple and healthy as long as you have a fridge on board or ice chest

Chicken Piccata

Ingredients
2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and then cut in half
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour, for dredging
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup brined capers, rinsed
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Directions
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess.
In a large skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add 2 pieces of chicken and cook for 3 minutes. When chicken is browned, flip and cook other side for 3 minutes. Remove and transfer to plate. Melt 2 more tablespoons butter and add another 2 tablespoons olive oil. When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the other 2 pieces of chicken and brown both sides in same manner. Remove pan from heat and add chicken to the plate.
Into the pan add the lemon juice, stock and capers. Return to stove and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavor. Check for seasoning. Return all the chicken to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove chicken to platter. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to sauce and whisk vigorously. Pour sauce over chicken and garnish with parsley
Welcome to DC.

Josie