Salted vs unsalted butter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonnie Rae

Assistant Cook
Found this location today be asking Google what is the difference in the end product (shortbread cookies in this instance) in the butter used--salted vs. unsalted?

While I'm here, any advice on when to choose dark brown sugar over light brown sugar in cooking would be of interest, too.

Looking forward to quick replies.... Bonnie Rae:ermm:

Hi, Bonnie Rae. Welcome to DC.

My opinion is that 99 times out of 100, salted vs. unsalted doesn't matter. If the recipe specifies unsalted butter, use that. If the recipe also calls for salt, you could use salted butter and reduce the salt in the recipe.

Generally, when recipes call for brown sugar, I'd use light brown unless the recipe specified dark.

I have found a difference in salted/unsalted butter. My wife is rather sensitive to salt (or any seasoning for that matter) so I tend to use unsalted most of the time. Also, I use unsalted in (what little) baking (I do). I don't know the measurements, but logic says if there is salt already in another ingredient and the recipe calls for salt, it will be more salty/too salty unless the author of the recipe accommodated for the "extra" salt.

Like I said though, I don't know what the exact measurements are - they may be small enough for the general populous to not notice a difference, I don't know.

My roommate makes choc. chip cookies with salted butter and they always turn out salty, but in a good way, IMO. I can see some people not liking them that salty.

I always just use salted. Nobody in my house would ever notice anything as being too salty! Sometimes when I use unsalted things taste a little bland, or at least like they are missing something.
Same as Andy on the sugar, I use light unless something calls for dark.

I use salted butter and dark brown sugar in everything, unless the recipe says "IMPORTANT! DO NOT SUBSTITUTE", in which case, I probably won't make the thing at all.

I agree with suzi: non-salted butter seems flat and less flavorful to me.

And I just love the flavor of dark brown sugar. More molasses in there, I think.

Lee

Back
Top Bottom