Self-proclaimed cook says 'Hey!'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Self proclaimed cook meaning it is not my job or profession. I am A school bus driver, until I can find a better paying job. I have a special ed route through the summer, but at least it is something.

I was really inspired to try new ways to cook after going to a Hibachi Grill. For breakfast the next morning, I tried to chop an egg in half with a knife... I removed the shattered eggshells, but my wife still found some, told me to never try to copy a hibachi chef again.

I like cooking in new ways and try to keep things flavorful, although my wife thinks I go overboard on spices and flavors. So Far my specialties are Chicken and shrimp Alfredo spaghetti, I keep improving on. BBQing. I still need work on baking. I have had a few successes with homemade doughs, then when i think I've had a handle, failure strikes.

Oh yeah I make a good chinese chicken fried rice, rice took me for ever to figure out as well, in fact I still have a thing or two to figure out.

Well anyway that is my cooking interests, and what I do.

Welcome to DC. I hope to see your recipe for you fettuccini. I love that stuff!

'Welcome to DC.

My brother was a cook like you, especially with the spice thing...he thought the more the better. I bought him a book on spices and a southwestern cookbook (since that was the spice palette he used) and made him promise he would faithfully follow the recipes in that book as far as spices went. His then wife thanked me profusely. I suggest the same would work for you...follow spice instructions precisely until you see how they go together.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

welcome, rocky.

love the intro post. it was great.

don't just post a few and leave us, or the chief and i will search the flatlands to find you.

but welcome.

the chief wouldn't threaten you if you didn'!t seem able... :)

Name Origin and Fettuccine Recpie

To answer Hoot's question, it is eerily similar to it. years ago, I had a pickup truck with a CB radio. I had a friend who was a hunter and he gave me a squirrel tail (Cause I was young, single, and was easily amused by stuff like that).

Well I took down my Giant CB antenna, and put the squirrel tail on it, and stuck it back up. As I drove down the Interstate, the truckers would talk about it 'Look at that flying squirrel go down the road'. One smart alec trucker said, "Wonder where Bullwinkle is" So I became known as 'Rocky the Flying Squirrel' on the CB

So when I started another hobby known as Geocaching (a GPS treasure hunting game/social website), I adapted that name as well. I also had a yahoo accound but that name was taken, so I added an extra 'L' to Squirrel (Squirrell), and the 'e' in rockey was added in by accident.

As for the Fettuccine recipe. It is simple. I use spaghetti as I still get the texture mushy with fettuccine and I take store bought Alfredo sauce, but heat it up in a separate pot, add in chopped Garlic, a little olive oil, bacon bits, butter, milk salt, pepper, and juice from the chicken preparation. Let it heat about 10 minutes after it begins to boil. I also experiment with other spices each time.

The chicken, I soak in a brine solution and add a little soy sauce when the outside shows signs of whiteness.

Oh no Rockey. Making Alfredo from scratch is just as easy as opening that jar! I'll have to share my recipe with you after my 3 puppies are done sleeping on me while pinning me to my recliner. I am stuck here and loving every minute of it!

We had a CB in our home and my dad's can. I was Little Sparkie because at that time I was in a marching band called the Sparkies. I was also 1976 state champ in batons!

As far as leaving. as I said before, I drive a special ed route, and my one student got summer school. I drive from a rural area to a bigger City (Belleville, IL) and I get a paid layover.

I spend my time at the library, and since school started, actually I drove another Special ed route when I began school bus driving in 2009, then went to a full size school bus for 2 years, then had to get something more local, so I was used to comming to the Library.

As I looked at books, my favorite section is the cooking books. So since 2009, I have been more into cooking with recipes.

Anyway I can get on the library computer for 2 half hour sessions, so I am in and out quickly when I can. Next week is an off week so I may not be on. We do have internet at the house but is rarely used as 3 kids run us amok.

so if it seems like I am ignoreing or cutting out quickly, that is why, I am limited on my internet time.

Thanks for the warm welcome by the way. I tried getting on cookingforums website and they rejected me because they thought I was a spammbot. of course I used my initials and zip code 'ljt3d622' as a name and that is my only guess why they would think that.

Any insight on that from the moderators? But thanks for wlecoming me on. Most of my questions will be like "What happens if I...." or "What did I do wrong in this recipe?"

I know, those two questions seem to go hand in hand. Hopefully by asking the first of the two the second can be avoided.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom