"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Exclamation Single mom who needs to learn easy quick meals

Hey everyone...desperatecook here, I'm a single mom who needs help badly! I grew up in a home where almost all the meals came from a box/can . I don't have confidence in the kitchen when it comes to making food thanks to certain people making me feel like whatever I made wasn't good enough. Needless to say I gave up cooking and made them take over in the kitchen. I feel like I'm starting over in life from scratch and need alot of guidance and simple help...lol please don't overwhelm me. I'm also doing this because I have an 18yr old daughter that I'm trying to teach basic meals. Any help/guidance is appreciated. I will take emails in my inbox if you prefer to help that way.
thanks for all your help,
desperatecook aka Blee

desperatecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Hey, Blee! Welcome to the board! Check the recipes section, and if you have any questions about anything, don't be afraid to ask.

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Master Chef
Site Moderator
Welcome to DC!
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Head Chef
Welcome to the forum!
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Hi. I don't know how to cook either but I'm trying. So far I've made 3 meals in my life and thankfully all 3 of them turned out ok. I wish there was some kind of "beginners secret handshake" and real words of wisdom I could share with you. If you have confidence, you're 1/2 way there.....and the other 1/2 is downhill. My wife is an awesome cook. I can make scrabled eggs. My first crock pot roast turned out well. So did my pasta. Words of wisdom;? You can't really screw up pasta. One step at a time and deep breath. Your kid(s) worship the ground you walk on. They're going to love anything you serve them.
Luvabigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #6
Head Chef
Welcome to DC. Ask away you will find lots of help here. We need to know what you want to cook. Maybe you could find a recipe and we will walk you thru it.

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Head Chef
Welcome,,, and as others have said,,, ask away...
A woman is like a tea bag, you never no how strong she is until you put her in hot water...
Mimizkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Welcome to DC! What kinds of food do you enjoy?

One of my easiest, fastest recipes is a white clam sauce with pasta.

1 can of minced clams, un-drained
1 can of chopped clams, un-drained
3 cloves of garlic, minced
olive oil - maybe a 1/4 of a cup
Chopped fresh parsley (optional, but yummy)
Parmesan cheese as desired
Fresh black pepper (& salt if you like)

1/2 box of Pasta. (I like thin spaghetti.)

Put the water on to boil for the pasta. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain pasta.

Lightly saute the garlic on a low heat until just tender. Add cans of clams. Stir until hot and bubbly. Add pepper to taste. (If you like salt, add a pinch of it too.) Combine with the pasta until the pasta is well coated in the sauce. Plate and top with a bit of chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese.

The only thing you need is salad to round out the meal. I can have this on the table in less than 15 minutes. Though all ingredients come from the pantry, it's really yummy.
A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Head Chef
I think every 18-yr old should learn how to cook instant ramen noodles. Not exactly kosher, but a good place to start. Welcome to DC, Blee.
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I think every 18-yr old should learn how to cook instant ramen noodles. Not exactly kosher, but a good place to start. Welcome to DC, Blee.
Many kids in college have made quite the meals with ramen noodles. I have a son that lived on those, and little juan burritos. He added things to the ramen soup to make several different "meals."

Welcome, I know you will like it here. Here is an easy dinner to start with.

Forgotten Chicken (A Texas Hill Country Cookbook)

1 cup uncooked rice (I have used up to two cups)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1-1/2 cups water
1 large fryer or enough pieces for six servings
salt and pepper
1/2 package dry onion soup mix

Preheat oven to 350F. Place rice on bottom of shallow, greased baking pan. Combine cream soup and water. Pour some of the soup mixture over rice and let stand a few minutes. Place chicken pieces on top of rice. Salt and pepper chicken and add the rest of the soup mixture over chicken. Top with dry onion soup mix. Cover with foil, place in oven and forget about it for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Serves 6.

It is a hard one to mess up, and makes a great meal. I have thought of adding frozen peas to it, but I know that my husband wouldn't eat it that way. Instead, I make peas and mix them into the food on my plate. I have also made this meal with leftover chicken cut up in bite size pieces.

No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote

easy, meals