So it finally occurred to me that I really don't like Facebook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome KDJ, I like playing with food as you will see in my pic's & posts so come on in and enjoy. Oh, by the way I never made apple rose's!
img_1445553_0_86eba6fd69d2020f2ce63bf7b6d9dfe3.jpg
Yes I have seen you recreate some interesting food visuals. :)

I have not seen an apple rose but have you made this? I have made the wing part (the easy bit)

apple-swan-2.jpg

Yes I have seen you recreate some interesting food visuals. :)

I have not seen an apple rose but have you made this? I have made the wing part (the easy bit)

apple-swan-2.jpg

Oh I really hope I don't offend anyone. What you folks are doing here requires skill and precision, and for the crazy Seymour-ish sandwich - a real sense of fun. What bugs me are the pinterest posts that dominate social media.

I remember this gorgeous book I bought years ago, it cost me $50 in 1984 (I wonder what it is now with inflation?) and it was all ... oh here it is... and how sad. It's only $9.60 now... but the things you could make. Incredible. )(Chinese Appetizers and Garnishes - Wei-Chuan's Cookbook - Bilingual - Cookbook Village)

Hi and welcome to DC.

That's ok, I don't like and don't use Facebook. I miss out on some grandkid's pics, but they usually email them too.

That's ok, I am still perfecting my falafels too. However, I think of this as a good excuse to shop my local mid-eastern market. I make better tabbouleh and tzatziki than they, so I figure it evens out. I just discovered Fattoush, a salad along the lines of tabbouleh. I have yet to eat any, never appeared on any menu that I recall, maybe I missed reading it. Anyway, that is a new one on my To Try list-- need a few fresh ingredients, I have a recipe which is half the way along with some anticipation.

As for joining a forum, I think you picked a good one, and you are most welcome here.

Hi and welcome to DC.

That's ok, I don't like and don't use Facebook. I miss out on some grandkid's pics, but they usually email them too.

That's ok, I am still perfecting my falafels too. However, I think of this as a good excuse to shop my local mid-eastern market. I make better tabbouleh and tzatziki than they, so I figure it evens out. I just discovered Fattoush, a salad along the lines of tabbouleh. I have yet to eat any, never appeared on any menu that I recall, maybe I missed reading it. Anyway, that is a new one on my To Try list-- need a few fresh ingredients, I have a recipe which is half the way along with some anticipation.

As for joining a forum, I think you picked a good one, and you are most welcome here.

Fattoush is a lot like panzanella :yum:

I wouldn't want you thinking that I spend my time carving shapes out of food! Far from it - rarely and just when entertaining. For the most part I just love trying out recipes, i.e. get seduced by wondering what they will taste like. The ability to reproduce it (obviously with lots of exceptions) in your own kitchen is like bringing a restaurant to your home.

I agree with whiskadoodle's post above in that you picked a good forum to join.
;)

The garlic thing restricts my full appreciation of the Mediterranean menu, but I have been able to make quite a bit here and play with flavors. Some of the items I've made... Lebanese rice, hummus, kofte, pita, kebabs, falafel...

My specialty has always been soups & sauces... and I can bake pretty much anything except bread. I can still remember the chef yelling at me, "The gluten! The gluten!" I could never really understand what the heck he meant. The gluten? What about it? But I always got great grades - probably because I went in for lots of extra help and tried really hard. A few weeks ago I figured I'd give the bread thing another try... it's been 3 decades, surely I can handle it now? Well, the pretzel rolls rose... so I guess I mastered that gluten thing, but man oh man, they looked like hell. lol. But they tasted great, and so long as we shut our eyes we were fine.

Welcome Karen. I see you are settling in just fine! Take peek in our Off topic discussions, we do know how to have fun. Any questions to me or the moderators, we are happy to help.

Hi KD! Welcome to our crazy corner of the world. Don't be so shy though. ;) Just kidding! Actually, there are a few of us who enjoy being chatty, so pull up a seat and join right in. Coffee? Tea? Or something a little more "adult"? Be prepared for those times you think "I'll just take five minutes to check DC..." end up being a lost hour (or more) to good conversation.

I could easily retire to VA for the scenery and the sheer history of the state. Sadly, the draw of home and our two kids who still live there (in Ohio) means when we finally pack up to move it will be back to our beloved Buckeye state.
...I think Facebook is the perfect place to post pics of my grandbaby so my family back home can see...
Yup, we could be friends. I use Facebook mostly to stalk my kids. :LOL:

...How could you ever leave Boston???!!!! :wacko:
And then there are a few of us who wonder WHY we're still here. Different strokes...

Fattoush is a lot like panzanella :yum:
But in my opinion, panzanella is better.

... and I can bake pretty much anything except bread.
I've never baked much of anything, but can bake bread (a very recently acquired skill). I've become enamored of the stuff! A quick search for dutch oven or no knead bread will produce a load of instructions and videos. It really is as idiot proof as they say (and I can attest to that!).

Welcome to DC Karen. From another Bostonian. I have moved out of here five times and returned each time. I had five kids, but am left with four. Three of my kids live within just minutes of me. One has become disabled and is presently staying with me until he can get on SSDI. A long process. And one child is in Vermont practicing Emergency Medicine.

I miss cooking big meals from scratch for my family. So whenever I have the energy, I make food for my daughter who lives just seconds from me. Her husband has a sweet tooth that can never be filled. I prefer baking to cooking the main dish of the day. And that is fine with him.

I recently made a pot of chicken soup for my daughter. She was in bed for two weeks with a severe cold. According to her husband, it cured her. I am sure it was more than just that.

Stick around and have some fun. You sound so I interesting. Sounds like you are going to make a lot of friends here.

I too avoid Facebook. I just use it to keep in touch with my son in Vermont.:angel:

Last edited:
Welcome to DC Karen. From another Bostonian. I have moved out of here five times and returned each time. I had five kids, but am left with four. Three of my kids live within just minutes of me. One has become disabled and is presently staying with me until he can get on SSDI. A long process. And one child is in Vermont practicing Emergency Medicine.

Where in Vermont? My mom's family is from there. She grew up in Winooski, and I still have an uncle in Stowe. I love love love Vermont. When we were considering where to raise the kids it was between Vermont and The Berkshires. The Berkshires won only because I found a job there super quick.

East Boston - I noticed someone else from EB -- Uncle Joey lived in East Boston. He passed away a few months before Oliver, but Auntie Helen still lives there - on Coleridge Street - right across from the runway at Logan. Crazy place. :)

Where in Vermont? My mom's family is from there. She grew up in Winooski, and I still have an uncle in Stowe. I love love love Vermont. When we were considering where to raise the kids it was between Vermont and The Berkshires. The Berkshires won only because I found a job there super quick.

East Boston - I noticed someone else from EB -- Uncle Joey lived in East Boston. He passed away a few months before Oliver, but Auntie Helen still lives there - on Coleridge Street - right across from the runway at Logan. Crazy place. :)

Within walking distance of where I live. Yet you don't even hear the planes. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom