"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 09-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Soaking potatoes

Hello Everyone! I'm ChristopherG, and I just joined this site. I have a question for everyone. A friend of mine says she soaks potatoes in cold water and puts them in the fridge before boiling them to make mashed potatoes. Does anyone know why this would be done and what the benefits are? I told her she was crazy, lol, but I wanted to see if there was a valid reason for doing this. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I always cover pealed potatoes with water if I am not going to be cooking them right away. It keeps them from turning brown and helps wash off some of the starch.

Oh, and welcome to DC.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
Master Chef

I do it when I'm making a big holiday dinner.

I peel them in the morning, cover them with cold water and put them into the refrigerator for several hours. When I get ready to cook them I pour off the cold water and cover them with tap water.

It is also common in making potato pancakes or french fries as a way to remove starch.

I guess I'm crazy too!
Old 09-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Did she say why she does that? I've never done it and my mashed potatoes are very good. We didn't do that in culinary school either unless we were going to cook them the next day. But if you peel them in advance, you can't wait longer than a day to cook them or they become mushy.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

When I'm making them for a big holiday dinner, I make the mashed potatoes in advance and reheat them in a slow cooker for serving.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

If you want to peel potatoes ahead of time, covering them with water keeps them from turning brown.

However, there is no other reason for soaking potatoes before making mashed potatoes. Peel, boil, mash.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Maybe it's how her mother did it?

I'm reminded of a story a friend told. Her mother always cut the end off the ham before baking it. Friend asked her mum why? Mum, "That's how my mother did it." So, she asked her grandmother why she did it. Grandmum, "The pot I bake ham in is too small for a whole ham."
Old 09-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

I'm reminded of a story a friend told. Her mother always cut the end off the ham before baking it. Friend asked her mum why? Mum, "That's how my mother did it." So, she asked her grandmother why she did it. Grandmum, "The pot I bake ham in is too small for a whole ham."
Question everything!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
Sous Chef

If I peel them ahead of time, I would cover with water and refrigerate but not when it's peel, cook, mash and eat.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

Tags
potato, potatoes